Fun and affordable activities to do around McMinnville and the surrounding area

Mariah
The view from the Silver Falls State Park hike.

Linfield University isn’t a big school in a big town. Sometimes it can be difficult to find fun things to do in the area that align with a college student’s budget. Fear not, it can be done, and it’s all right here.

Painting and wine night

This is a popular and very cheap option. With The Dollar Tree right up the road, you can virtually get all your crafting needs for under $10 in total. There, you’ll be able to find paints and canvases. If you don’t like the options here, Joann’s is just a little further up the street and they hold an array of craft supplies that are not much more expensive. 

As for your wine, there are plenty of options that are both tasty and cheap—especially from Winco. If you’re stumped on which one to buy ask one of the many wine majors on Linfield’s campus.

Day trip to the beach

This can be made completely free and is totally worth it. Oregon’s beaches are some of the best on the West Coast—there’s just a different type of beauty to them. During the right season, they can be warm too. 

With Lincoln City being the nearest to McMinnville, this is usually a popular destination. There is a lot of scenic hiking that is worth the climb and the perfect spot for watching the sunset.

South of Lincoln City is Newport, home of Agate Beach. Here you will find the cheapest shop to surf — Ossies Surf Shop, with a two-hour surf lesson and all equipment included for just $60.

North of Lincoln City lies Pacific City, with the famous Haystack Rock in the ocean’s distance. This is another popular surf and sunset spot, closer to McMinnville than Newport.

Visit Third Street

McMinnville is known for having a bustling downtown. With many vintage shops, coffee stops and eateries, you’re sure to find something to fulfill your afternoon boredom. If you’re not in the mood to spend money, Third Street’s vibrant life still offers an entertaining afternoon. 

Another must-do while visiting McMinnville’s downtown, is making sure to stop at the farmer’s market. This market runs from May through October every Thursday, supplied with a variety of vendors. 

Hiking

McMinnville is in the prime location when it comes to hiking. With the coast to the west and the mountains to the east, there’s so much landscape to be explored.

Miller Woods, about 15 minutes from Linfield’s campus. is a mild landscape with multiple trails that will loop you around the whole eight miles. With towering trees and a little pond, Miller Woods makes for a perfect morning walking spot.

Similarly, there are many great hiking areas and wildlife refuges that surround McMinnville, not having to go as far south as Salem that are worth checking out. Silver Falls State Park near Salem, is a fan favorite, as it is popular for its Trail of Ten Falls hike.