Cooking at home: A guide to cheap and easy meals

Photo by Mariah Johnston

We all know it’s easy to come home from a long day of class, work and sports, and throw a hot pocket in the microwave and call it dinner. Better yet, how about some Ramen? However, as our bodies change through college, we need to fuel them properly.

Now I know that you may be thinking cooking at home is time-consuming and expensive, but I’m here to tell you it does not have to be. The internet is your never-ending cookbook and you should take advantage of this. And if you’re one of those people who refuses to look things up on the internet, TikTok is quite literally your best friend if it’s not already.

Below I will be sharing some healthy, easy, and cheap meals that you can make in your dorm and apartments.

Overnight Oatmeal
1 cup of old-fashioned oats
1 tbsp of chia seeds
A scoop of Greek yogurt (or any yogurt you prefer)
Fruit of your choice (I use frozen strawberries)
1 cup of milk
Combine all ingredients into a container that you can place in the fridge overnight.
Top off with honey and cinnamon in the morning.

Oatmeal is a staple ingredient to have in your apartments. It’s cheap and it comes in large containers. Not only can you meal prep overnight oats, but cookies, bakes and pancakes are other great recipes to try with the oats you may have lying around.

Quesadillas
1 tortilla
1 cup of any cheese you desire
Vegetables- mushrooms, onions, etc.
First, I cook up my vegetables. I will sear the mushrooms and onions in olive oil. Once these are cooked to my liking, I will then add them to my tortilla on top of the cheese. Once all the vegetables are in my tortilla, I will then put the tortilla onto the stove melt the cheese, and crisp the tortilla.
Top with ranch, salsa or guacamole.

Not only does one of my favorite meals involve a tortilla, but two. Below is my favorite recipe for a breakfast burrito.

Breakfast Burrito
Tortilla (large)
Eggs
Ground beef
Hash Browns
Mushrooms
Cheese
(This recipe can be made in bulk or individually.)

Once you have your desired ingredients cooked up, add everything to your large tortilla. Top off with salsa or guacamole.
Can be made vegetarian as well, you can substitute the meat with your protein of choice.

Chicken and Rice Bowls
Jasmine rice
Chicken
Brussel sprouts
Mushrooms
Onions

This one is easy. Just throw everything into a bowl and garnish with your favorite toppings.

Poke Bowls
Cubed Tuna
Soy Sauce
Sriracha Mayo
Green Onion
Yellow Onion
Crispy Onion
Cucumber
Rice

Overall, there are many different recipes to pick and choose from for healthy, quick and cheap meals to make in a college apartment. The internet is your best friend.
While prepping for a meal may seem like a hassle, it is worth it. You get an amazing home-cooked meal and the satisfaction of feeling like a real adult.