Dame Time in The House of Hustle

Dear Damian Lillard,

I have been able to watch a few Blazer games in the Moda Center over my life and of course am a regular on the Root Sports channel. It’s safe to say that you are my favorite player for three main reasons: your killer instincts, your loyalty, and your ability to flip a switch by simply tapping on your wrist and indicating “it’s Dame Time.”

My top two favorite sports moments are because you decided to enter “Dame Time.” I have never screamed so loud and not been able to contemplate what in the world you had just done when you hit your first buzzer beater in game 6 over Chandler Parsons to send the Blazers t0 the 2014 Western Conference Semifinals. 

You then had the audacity to wave the Oklahoma City Thunder home, as well as derail the entire franchise on what Paul George absurdly described as a “bad shot”. I just would like to say thank you for being one of the most clutch players in NBA history. 

But, with that being said there is something that I would like to address. 

As an avid Blazer fan, a washed-up high school basketball player, and Linfield intramural basketball champion, I am a bit caught off guard. I am currently a senior at Linfield University and was very hyped to find out about the grand opening of Damian Lillard Toyota in 2020 located at 3142 NE Doran Dr, just 10 minutes away from campus. This is great to see you making an impact in the McMinnville community. The following year in 2021 you hosted your first annual Damian Lillard Toyota “Threes For Charity” event at McMinnville High School. 

Given your investment (and maybe obsession?) with our town, it is time to show the local college in McMinnville, Linfield University, some love. We would love for you to attend a men’s and women’s basketball game, preferably our last home Northwest Conference game against Lewis and Clark. Oh, and don’t worry, the men and women home games are played on the same night, so you won’t have to fight Portland traffic to wine country more than once. The first game always starts around 6 p.m. and the second game begins around 8 p.m. 

With that being said I’ve got some good dinner suggestions that I can recommend to you, but that’s a conversation for another time.  

Linfield’s gym has the nickname “The House of Hustle” which you would obviously approve of. Both teams embrace the slogan and tend to play a very up-tempo style of basketball. This makes for an incredible atmosphere when there is a sellout crowd – and with you in the stands, there definitely will be. 

“Our gym is a pit style, meaning it can be one of the loudest in the Northwest Conference when it’s packed and rocking and rolling,” said senior forward Jacob Hjort.

Both men’s and women’s teams have started out 3-4 on the season and have a 1-1 record in conference play. Both teams are destined for a Northwest Conference title run and potential berth in the NCAA Division III tournament. 

Both of those teams could always use some useful 3-point shooting tips and words of wisdom from an elite shooter who has been described as “hotter than fish grease” in countless big games. Passing on that killer mentality that you have would always be appreciated for these players. 

Ok so I know what you are thinking, you would love to attend a game, but your schedule is too busy. Well don’t worry, I have already thought of a solution for us. 

What if Linfield hosted your annual Damian Lillard Threes for Charity event?From what I read, you guys had a great turnout last year and I think it’s time to take this event up a notch by using a college gym. I know that McMinnville just got a brand-new venue, but there is nothing cooler than Linfield’s old traditional small college gym environment.

There are many huge Blazer fans on campus that would be ecstatic to be a part of this event or even just have you come to a game. As you have found out with your time in Portland, we have some of the most loyal fans in the NBA here in the Pacific Northwest, and that includes in wine country. 

“Having Dame come to a Linfield game would be so crazy, the buzz on campus would be nothing like Linfield has seen, maybe ever,” said Kolby Bautista, a senior and diehard Blazer fan. 

But there is one aspect of your game that you let do the talking off the court that would be a fan favorite for the students.

Something that not many of us have been able to experience is Dame D.O.L.L.A. Not many people know but, Dame D.O.L.L.A, his rap name stands for different on levels the Lord allows. Clearly you have shown us that you can spit bars as well as be an All-NBA type player. Many of your peers have labeled you as the best rapper in the NBA, so I think it’s time to show off some of your skills. If you were up to it, you could come perform the halftime show or even after both games. 

You’ve said, “I’m not a basketball player who raps, I’m a rapper,” – well, let’s see it in person.

This could be labeled as your “practice concert” so that way you would be able to figure out if you want to just keep it as a hobby or maybe also start performing.  

But, in all seriousness, as a part of Linfield University, I speak for all of it when I say we would absolutely love it if you came down for a game or hosted your charity event here (or both!) I mean, who doesn’t want to be able to witness “Dame Time” in little old McMinnville, Ore. 

And maybe afterward, you can give us all some sort of student discount at your dealership. We are part of the student debt crisis, after all.

Sincerely, 

Parker Wright
Linfield senior and Blazer superfan