Linfield football player in recovery, community steps up to exceed fundraising goal


Nathan Herde

Klosterman faces off against Lewis and Clark University in mid-November.

Maddie Loverich, Editor-in-chief

A big collision during the fourth quarter of Linfield football’s Dec. 4 quarterfinal matchup against the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor quieted the crowded stadium for several minutes as athletic trainers tended to an injured Linfield player on the ground.

Linebacker Brock Klosterman was able to walk himself off the field, but it was quickly evident he needed further medical attention. 

The fifth-year athlete was sent to the intensive care unit with several internal injuries, including contusions on his heart, lungs and kidneys and a hemorrhaging adrenal gland. They also found he wasn’t getting enough oxygen, due to fluid in his lungs, and his heart rate and blood pressure was very low. 

While in the ICU, Klosterman developed an infection in his lungs. 

“I have improved rapidly from that Saturday night,” Klosterman said. “I feel great, but my heart still needs some more time to heal. My breathing has been a little difficult, but that is also improving every day.” 

A teammate’s mother started a GoFundMe page on Dec. 7 to help with medical funds, travel fees, and future recovery efforts. The campaign raised $39,405, significantly surpassing their initial goal of $10,000 in less than 24 hours.

Donations came in from all over, including the Linfield community, Klosterman’s hometown of Tigard, and Mary Hardin-Baylor. 

Fans, leadership, and even the dance team from Mary Hardin-Baylor donated to the cause and offered help while the family was still in Texas. According to the fundraising page, families also offered homes, beds, and washing machines. The president of UHMB visited the hospital to deliver Chick-Fil-A, and other university directors brought meals and offered support through their stay. 

“The amount of support from everybody meant a lot to me–it kept me going while I was in the ICU,” Klosterman said. “I want to thank the Tigard, Linfield, UMHB community, and everyone else for all their love and prayers. This was a very difficult time, and you guys helped my family and I get through it. The power of the small college really showed and there are a lot of good people out there.”

Klosterman was finally released from the hospital on Dec. 9. He spent one extra night in a hotel before flying home and now, he’s back home in Oregon resting. 

“For 90 days, I have to limit exercising or anything strenuous,” Klosterman said. “I’ll be checking in with the cardiology team here in [McMinnville] and hopefully as I keep on healing, I can get that trimmed down. Other than that, it feels great to be back and I can’t wait to see all my friends on campus.” 

The quarterfinal game in Belton, Texas resulted in a 24-49 loss to Mary Hardin-Baylor. The opponent went on to win the semifinal on Saturday, and will now advance to the national championship game against North Central College next weekend in Ohio.