Raincoat vs. umbrella, you decide

Charlotte Abramson, Opinions Editor

The rainy season has started here in Oregon and we all know that that means–it’s time to break out our various Columbia and North Face raincoats and judge anyone that uses an umbrella. 

It’s not just me, I assure you. Most native Oregonians will, although most will probably be nice about it. I’m not sure when it became such an important aspect to living in the PNW, but it’s how we weed out the transplants from other states. 

Now, I have nothing against people from California…except that they’re from California. They’re terrible drivers and now they’re here. However, even that can add a little bit of humor in every Oregonian’s day. 

I could not have planned this better. I’m sitting in a Starbucks, embracing my basic white girl nature and an SUV with California plates pulls up. We’re under a wind advisory right now, and with the rain and flying leaves, it’s a dream outside–except for the Californian who just opened his umbrella. I bet you can imagine what happened. 

When I tell you I inhaled my latte, I mean my lungs are now fully caffeinated and I have coffee dripping down my chin. I’m in pain, but watching his umbrella snap over his face made it so worth it. He’s fine, guys, just grumpy and wet. 

He came in grumbling about how much he hates the rain, and complained to the barista about Oregon. When his complaints over having to buy a new umbrella emerged, even the barista struggled to hide the amusement in her voice. 

I’m sorry buddy, it does take some time getting used to, but using an umbrella makes it worse. I guess someone forgot to tell him it rains a lot here. 

The best advice as a native Oregonian that I can offer is to buy a raincoat. Buy an expensive raincoat, I assure you it won’t be a waste of money. 

Thankfully, I’ve yet to see any umbrellas being used on campus. The stormy season is just beginning though, it’s only a matter of time until the precipitation exposes the weak. 

Stay dry peeps. 

God there’s another one. You guys aren’t going to melt, calm down.