Linfield women’s soccer falls to George Fox

JJ Anderson

Linfield falls to George Fox

Serrina Cabral, Staff Writer

The Linfield women’s soccer team lost in Sunday’s match 2-1 against George Fox University. This brought Linfield’s record to 2-9-1 and George Fox to 8-2-2. 

The Bruins’ offense controlled the tempo of the game. Linfield took only three shot attempts throughout the entirety of the game, the Bruins had a total of 17 shot attempts against Linfield. The Bruins also had 13 shots on goal, while the Cats had only two shots on goal.

Linfield came out strong against George Fox in Sunday’s matchup in the first half. They had applied pressure right off the back pushing the ball toward the goal, going back and forth with the Bruins. Linfield got on the board first with a goal from senior defender Ashley Guldager, but the Bruins answered right back with a goal of their own by Maggie Philips, ending the first half.

Linfield had only taken two shot attempts in the first half, while the Bruins had taken nine shot attempts. This kept sophomore goalkeeper Emma Mulligan on her toes the whole first half. This allowed the Bruins more goal opportunities than the Wildcats.

During the second half the Bruins had momentum on their side. They applied pressure  right away, which allowed Maggie Hodgdon to score a goal assisted by Willa Evens. The Bruins continue to add on to their score attempts compared to the Wildcats, with the Bruins coming to 12 shot attempts at 40 minutes and the ‘Cats still sitting at two.

In the second half, Wildcat junior middle Emma Sammartino went down with an injury, delaying the play for a few minutes.

The Bruins never stepped off the gas pedal in the second half, continuing to apply pressure on the Wildcats by executing good ball movement throughout the entire game.

Linfield fought all the way to the end, but they came up short to the Bruins. Mulligan faced 17 shots and had 11 saves on Sunday. Up next, Linfield will play at home on Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. against Pacific University.