5 of the best Bollywood movies to watch on Netflix

Photo+courtesy+of+cinemaexpress.com+

Photo courtesy of cinemaexpress.com

Cing Muang, Staff Writer

If you are into musicals and are a hopeless romantic, Bollywood might be the right film for you to enjoy. Bollywood is a Hindi- language film industry that usually includes music as part of the plot. Bollywood defeats Nollywood and Hollywood as the world’s largest film industry with its content captivating to a global audience in every corner of the world. 

Most Bollywood films are about two or more hours long because they contain full songs of the actresses and actors dancing and lip-syncing. Bollywood has been globally popular due to its good storytelling that includes all sorts of elements such as lush locations and extravagant songs. Most of the overall themes in Bollywood are love, family, and friendship. Emotion is at the heart of everything. 

Thankfully, Netflix has some of the best Bollywood of all time you can easily watch and enjoy. Here are the top 5 lists of Bollywood movies that I watched and enjoyed no matter how many times I rewatch them. 

1. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (“Something Happens”, 1998)

This was the very first Bolly classic film that I watched with my mom as a kid. I remembered feeling so attached to the movie when I rewatched it again as I got older, I still enjoy rewatching it and have never gotten sick of it. The story is beautiful and perfect for hopeless romantics to watch. 

Plot: Anjali and Rahul were best friends and then Tina transferred to their college in their last year. A love triangle started to form when Anjali fell in love with her best friend Rahul. But Rahul has his eyes on Tina who was more feminine than Anjali who was a tomboy most of her life. Years later, Rahul and the now-deceased Tina’s eight-year-old daughter attempt to reunite her father and Anjali.

My favorite song from this film is Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

2. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (“Sometimes Happiness, Sometimes Sorrow.” 2001)

Another classic Bollywood film that was widely popular in India also known as KG3. The theme focused on family, pride, love, and social prejudice and prepared to get emotional with the plot. It brings four of the biggest Bollywood stars who are Shahrukh Khan, Kajol (Yes they have paired up again with the same character names from “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai”), Kareena Kapoor, and Hrithik Roshan. 

Plot:  Yash who is a wealthy and successful businessman wanted his adopted and oldest son Rahul to take on his legacy and tradition. Problems started to arise when Rahul fell in love with Anjali who is from a lower-class status. Yash disproves their relationship and disowns his son Rahul. Ten years later, Rahul’s younger brother, Rohan, decided to study abroad in the UK where Rahul and his family lived. This begins Rohan’s mission to reunite his broken family. 

My favorite songs from this film are Bole Chudiyan and You Are My Soniya

3. Dostana (“Friendship,” 2008)

This is one of my all-time favorite Bollywood films whose main actress leads a very well-known actress Priyanka Chopra whom you also might know as Nick Jonas’s wife. I watched this when I was a kid and thought my adult lifestyle would be like the main characters in this movie. The movie fills us with feelings of love, laughter, and happiness. It’s essentially a story on friendship that’s created based on a lie but it’s extremely entertaining. All the OST songs in this movie are really good and nice to listen to. 

Plot: Sameer who is a nurse and Kunal who is a photographer pretended to be a gay couple in order to live in a posh Miami Apartment with Neha. As they spent more time together and deepened their relationships, both Sameer and Kunal fell for their gorgeous female roommate Neha. 

My favorite songs from this film are Jaane Kyun and Khabar Nahi

4. 3 Idiots (2009)

This is a very intellectual and funny film that everyone can enjoy regardless of age. It’s a comedy that will make you laugh till you drop and it also contains moral lessons that are useful in real life. After watching this film, you might want to try patting your heart and tell yourself “All is well” meaning when things are going hard, it’s ok. 

Plot: Three Engineering students Farhan, Raju, and Rancho at the best college in India became best friends for life. Rancho’s query and positive outlook on life encourage Farhan and Raju to go after what they really want. After their college graduation, Rancho disappears and a year later, Farhan and Raju who are successful in their fields because of Rancho’s encouragement are trying to find him. 

My favorite song from this film is Zoobi Doobi

5. PK (“Drunk,” 2014) 

Another great film played by “Aamir Khan” from the film 3 Idiots. If you had watched “3 Idiots” you know Aamir Khan is a marvelous actor who is often in a movie with a purpose and entertainment. It’s a family film that you can enjoy watching together with your parents and grandparents. 

Plot: An Alien lands on earth and tries to get back to his planet. As he tried to figure out a way to leave earth to get back to his planet, he started to ask questions no one has asked before. Known by his initials “PK,” his childlike curiosity forces the country to evaluate the impact of religion on its people.