Hey Wildcats, what’s with the aversion to pants?

Photo by Thomas Sagers

Emma Olson, Opinions Editor

Picture this: it’s nine o’clock in the morning, the sun is shining, birds are chirping. However, since it’s March in Oregon, it’s 35 degrees outside, and there’s frost on the grass. Someone of sound mind might bundle up appropriately by wearing jeans and a coat.

Linfield students approach this weather differently.

Yesterday morning, I checked my weather app before leaving my apartment. It was in the 30 to 40 degree range, so I decided not to torture myself and grabbed my winter coat. However, I couldn’t help but feel I was the odd one out.

Not just one, but multiple people were donning shorts yesterday! Not just those guys who take pride in wearing basketball shorts 365 days a year, either. It seems that if the sun is out, Wildcats will act like it’s summer. I saw a girl sunbathing outside the HPs this afternoon.

Now, I’m far from the fashion police, as evidenced by some questionable looks that I’ve (definitely not) pulled off. I’m the last person to tell others what to wear. But this isn’t a fashion emergency; it’s a health and safety issue!

I’m from Washington state, so I’ve seen my fair share of 50-degree-Fahrenheit summers. In elementary school, I used to ditch my coat before recess if it were 45 degrees or above. By no means am I holier than thou. I promise, I’m just concerned.

I know you people have jackets and long pants because the second September hits, everyone on campus starts dressing like they’re in a Hallmark Christmas movie. There’s no reason these looks can’t extend into the springtime—weather permitting.

Fellow Wildcats, this is my question for you: Why? Why put yourself through the pain of having bare legs in the sharp, cold Oregon wind? You look great, but you look just as great in jeans. The summer hype is not worth it. Just bundle up for a couple more weeks—warm weather will be here before you know it.