Lū‘au & Hō‘ike meetings return amid strict policies

The Lū‘au & Hō‘ike committee has had to conduct meetings via Zoom this semester

Riley Omonaka, Staff Writer

As Linfield completes its sixth week of spring semester, many clubs are hard at work preparing events and celebrations for the student body while facing the immense challenges that COVID has brought to campus.

Due to the on-campus outbreak that occured near the end of January and into Feburary, clubs are required to conform to the university’s reformed COVID policies. Currently, all on-campus in-person events must be approved by the Office of Conference and Event Planning. Furthermore, all indoor events must be limited to six people. These guidelines were last reviewed on Feb. 23, but with Yamhill County exiting “Extreme risk” and entering the “High risk” category, the guidelines are expected to change soon.

This month, the Lū‘au & Hō‘ike committee has been hard at work planning and preparing for the upcoming shows. In addition to restrictions on in-person meetings, the Lū‘au & Hō‘ike has had less participation from students.

“This could be something that will bring our Linfield community together. My fellow co-chairs and I have been trying to do whatever it takes to put something together,” Shannon Hussey, co-chair of the Lū‘au & Hō‘ike said.

The committee is still looking for students to participate. Practices and meetings thus far have been held via Zoom, but they plan to host in-person practices soon. With support from several faculty members like Doug Hire, Sarah Fuller, and Kaelia Neal, they plan to host the Lū‘au & Hō‘ike on April 16 and 17 in the lower gym of HHPA.

“We are very hopeful that the show will happen, but the numbers will most definitely not be the same,” Hussey said. “Right now, based on COVID policies, our audience this year will be only 50 max, in comparison to having one thousand-plus present in the stands.”

The Lū’au & Hō‘ike committee is planning to begin holding practices outside with a maximum of 25 people masked and socially distanced as regulations and weather permit, but they are ready to make any necessary changes to host this event. Alternative outdoor locations are arranged and the audience has been limited to students and faculty to meet school guidelines. 

Despite the disruptions that COVID has brought to clubs like the Lū‘au & Hō‘ike, the Linfield student body continues to adapt.