Linfield unveils record-breaking scoreboard

Linfields+record-breaking+video+board+dominates+the+view+from+Memorial+Stadium.+

Cartoon by Elliot Montbriand

Linfield’s record-breaking video board dominates the view from Memorial Stadium.

Ethan Myers, Managing Editor

Another Division III record has been shattered by Linfield’s football program, but this one didn’t come on the field. Instead, it looks down at it.

Construction was completed last week on Linfield’s new 30-foot-high, 60-foot-wide digital scoreboard that sits on the northeast corner of Maxwell Field. It ranks, far and away, as the biggest video board in all of Division III. The project was funded entirely by private contributions.

The 1,800-square-foot display dwarfs it’s Division III competition, as the second biggest at University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is nearly half the size, standing at 25 feet high and 40 feet wide. Among all Division II, Division III and NAIA institutions, Linfield touts the 4th-largest scoreboard.

Senior football player Mana Kupihea considers the record-breaking scoreboard a huge honor, and views it as a reward for the culture and success that has been crafted in Linfield’s numerous athletic programs.

“Being that we are a blue-collar program here at Linfield, working hard for many of the things we receive as an athletic program is the standard,” Kupihea said. “It is a culture that can be found not just the football team, but throughout many athletics here at Linfield.”

In an interview with Linfield’s sports information team, Athletic Director Garry Killgore stresses that the new scoreboard will improve the university’s ability to recruit student-athletes and help enrich the game day experience.

Outside of lighting up the football field on Saturdays, the massive digital display will also be utilized by track and field during home meets. Additionally, the university hopes to use it for other major student-driven events such as Cat Camp, a new student orientation.

Kupihea is eager to see the scoreboard in action on game day, as are many of Linfield football players.

“This scoreboard will help showcase the dedication that has been put into these programs by our athletes,” Kupihea said.