A time-sucker worth a download

Emma Inge

Why log off TikTok when there’s nothing better to do? Students navigate a rocky relationship with this social media fad.

Chloe Brady, Staff Writer

When TikTok became popular, it was the bane of my existence. Every single day I was bombarded by the TikTok audio that was most popular at the time.

I refused to download the app. I wouldn’t allow myself to be sucked into yet another social media app that made me feel bad about how utterly unfunny I am. However, I soon became exhausted of hearing the term, “It’s a TikTok thing. You wouldn’t understand.” 

So once quarantine hit, I caved. The potential malware had officially been downloaded to my phone. I loved it and have been obsessed ever since. 

Some TikTok users complain about their obsession over the app, saying they spend too much time on it. But, Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter are just a few other social media apps we use to keep ourselves endlessly entertained. Why delete TikTok and not them?

Whether you think TikTok is the raddest thing to hit the app store since Flappy Bird or just a dumb app for tweens, it continues to attract viewers and draw laughter. Here’s what Linfield students have to say about the app.

Hunter D’orso, an RA in Campbell, expressed how he had the app for a short amount of time but then deleted it due to it being a time sucker.

“It was a waste of my time and really unhealthy,” D’orso said. He’s right: In a lot of ways, TikTok is a waste of time. The one-minute videos are simply around to elicit a positive response. A laugh, a share and a like are all that seem to be gained. 

Softball player Kendra Hutchinson explained how she used to think the app was cringey, but she doesn’t anymore, saying “most content isn’t cringey… but some content like thirst traps definitely still are.” I’d have to agree with her on that. However, I’m stuck on Draco Malfoy TikTok, so my feed isn’t very full of “thirst traps.” 

Hutchinson said she found TikTok “super entertaining and addicting.” With the thought of time-sucking, addictive apps still rattling around in my mind, I asked her if she felt TikTok was as addictive as Instagram.

“I think it’s more addicting than Instagram,” she said. “I mindlessly scroll through both, but when I need to get something done, I just close Insta. I have to give myself a reason to get off TikTok.” 

It almost seems as if TikTok is more entertaining, making it harder to leave. It’s one of those apps you feel the need to pool all of your attention into. With Instagram you can scroll for a little while, see some familiar faces, a nice landscape, a cake perhaps. While with TikTok, there are things moving, people dancing, singing and telling stories! 

Not to mention, TikTok provides the “For You Page,” a page of videos they’ve curated just for you. With billions of users on the app, it’s unlikely you’ll run out of content you find interesting. 

TikTok can be seen as a simple app to escape from the real world (or, if you’re me, the INQS essay you should be completing). However, it has a greater purpose than escapism. The app has approximately two billion downloads worldwide. This allows for individuals with different backgrounds, religions, ideals and regions to come together and learn about each other, which is absolutely spectacular.

TikTok has also become a political platform. Many users are voicing their opinions on the current happenings in the American government, which is extremely relevant today as we come upon a presidential election. Modern activists use their voices and spread their ideas to people around the globe, giving the younger generation a unique opportunity to have their voices heard. 

No matter what you think of the app—whether it’s downloaded on your phone, a faint memory in your hard drive, or something you never want to hear about again—you have to admit it’s done some pretty cool things and provided a lot of laughs. So, before TikTok gets banned forever, make sure to say goodbye, and thank it for the good times.