Undefeated ‘Cats taken down by the Yotes

Photo courtesy of Kelly Bird

Chase Whittaker, Sports Editor

The trumpets of the national anthem rebound off of the walls in the Ted Wilson Gymnasium as the undefeated Wildcats line up across from the Yotes. The women’s basketball team has yet to be tested by any opponents thus far.

The Yotes, who are currently winless in the preseason, travel to McMinnville all the way from Idaho to play this preseason match-up against Linfield.

After a strong win against Walla Walla University, scoring the fourth most points in program history over the wolves, Seniors Kory Oleson and Molly Danielson look to build off their two wins and take down the traveling Yotes.

Danielson, who led the Wildcats in overall points, was awarded with Northwest Conference Defensive Player of the Week for her outstanding defensive effort in the week prior.

“I come into every game with the same mindset, do whatever it takes to help my team win games. Whether it be on offense or defense, I do my part to help our team” Danielson said.

Cheers erupted from the Wildcats bench as they win the tip-off leading to back-to-back scoring drives from junior guard, Jordyn Feinauer along with an and one conversion.

Although the Wildcats have a strong presence from their upperclassmen with Cassidy Schutz, Danielson and Oleson leading the charge. They also have a deep freshman class, one of which has been consistently in the starting lineup for the Wildcats.

“There is a definite learning curve, but being put into the position, they have all handled it with class and I have never seen such a talented group of freshman handle leadership the way this group has. It is quite impressive” Danielson said.

College of Idaho go into halftime with only a one-point lead following a 3-point shot from Tayla Sayer who was 3-3 from beyond the arc in the first half.

Going into halftime, similar to the Wildcats victory over Walla Walla, Danielson led the game with five rebounds and two steals along with Oleson also leading the game with 15 points.

Linfield came into this game against the Yotes 2-0, a feat reached for the first time under head coach Casey Bunn-Wilson. Wilson fired up her team at halftime as the Wildcats came out with their guns blazing on offense and defense ending the third period with a score of 56-53.

Danielson continued to shine on defense collecting three more rebounds and three more points giving her eight rebounds and eight points.

At the beginning of the final period, the Yotes took the Wildcats on a 7-2 run for the first six minutes. The Wildcats broke this when Danielson entered back into the game immediately scoring three points to send the Wildcats back into the lead.

The Wildcats were handed their first loss of the season despite the strong leadership and a late surge of offense they were unable to fend off the Yotes.

Linfield falls to 2-1 on the preseason, while the winless Yotes take their first win on the road here in McMinnville and move up to 1-3.