Dreaded group projects serve practical purposes

Athena Benjamin, Writer

Group projects are heavily criticized by many students. Despite their objections, there are many benefits that cause educators to continue to assign them.

In the real world problem solving, teamwork and shared responsibility are vital. Group projects can help to teach and develop these skill, and putting students into these circumstances while in school will better prepare them for the future.

In this society, communication is necessary. In addition to finding their personal form of expression, students learn to communicate effectively with their classmates.

External obligation comes with group work, which causes many students to work harder in groups for fear of letting down their teammates.

Increasing the number of people in a group increases the perspectives in the group as well. This can cause an information overload, but it can open the project up to diverse, unique directions. This can inspire discussion among classmates and expand the number of viewpoints.

Hearing and deeply considering others’ perspectives is a critical life skill. Group projects are only successful if the members know how to really listen to the rest of the group and come to the best conclusion for the project. This forces students to cooperate to reach their common goal of a good grade.

Group projects can also boost work ethic through friendly competition. They can motivate students to work harder and come out on top after turning in their assignment.

Of course, there will always be the members who try to push everyone’s limits, the member who doesn’t do any work and the overbearing member who goes on a power trip.While these members are not always enjoyable, they are accurate portrayals of people in the the real world.

Many hate assigning group roles, communicating with their teammates and dividing the work. However, by seeing the constructive and practical elements to the projects, students can optimize their success.