Chaplin’s team relieves students’ worries with waffles, faith

Melanie Johnson, Writer

The chaplain’s team launched a new food and faith event on Sept. 16.

Chaplain David Massey said the Waffles and Worship event centers on listening and developing an awareness of needs in the world through prayer along with waffles.

The format differs from the group’s Faith and Flapjacks events, which are “interactive, discussion based, topic-given gatherings,” Massey said. The pancake event also has a guest speaker who leads the conversation.

“A lot of students don’t identify with a specific religion but are interested in things of faith,” he said. Some are uneasy with traditional faith structures. Those anywhere in their faith journey are welcome at both events he said.

The night of the Waffles and Worship event chaplain team members Molly Danielson ’20 and Griffin Taylor ’20 arrived early to prepare waffles and set out a spread of toppings complete with fresh fruit, miniature chocolate chips, maple and chocolate syrups, whipped cream, chopped nuts and tiny multicolored sprinkles.

After grabbing some waffles, students found seats on the overstuffed couches and easy chairs in the living room.

The service began with a prayer and a song, then students took turns reading scripture passages from both the Hebrew Bible and the Christian New Testament. Each selection reaffirmed the evening’s theme, which was “Love your neighbors around the world.”

Prayer topics presented focused on events that students may not have heard about in the news Massey said. Those included the cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe, Africa, the super typhoon that recently hit Southeast Asia, and the civil war in Nicaragua.

Sophie Rutz ’22 said, “Living on a college campus, I don’t always know what tragedies are going on in the world. It’s good to know about them and lift up a prayer for them.”

After each prayer request, the reader lit two small white candles arranged in the shape of a cross on the coffee table. One candle was lit for those in need and the other for the responders. Then there was 30 seconds of silence while participants prayed or meditated about what they had heard.

Prayer is at the heart of every major religion Massey said.

A little later, he invited attendees to light candles to represent their own unspoken prayer requests. Most in the room took advantage of the opportunity.

Tiffany Wall ’19 said the event was “a good way to reflect on what is going on in the world and in your own life.” She said taking part gave her a sense of peacefulness.

“It’s a good way to start the week!” said Rutz.

Upcoming Waffles and Worship events will take place at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 14 and Dec. 2. There will not be an event in November due to the Thanksgiving holiday Massey said.