Upcoming piano recital

Melanie Johnson, Writer

Linfield’s department of music will kick off this fall’s musical events  on Sept. 14 with a faculty recital by composer, pianist, recording artist and international soloist Johnandrew Slominski.

Slominski, who joined Linfield in 2017 as assistant professor of music, said he will perform works by William Bolcom and Philip Glass in celebration of the two “hugely influential” American composers’ 80th birthdays.

Slominski said he will also play compositions by Franz Liszt, whom he said was the first “rock star” in the 19th century, a “super virtuoso at the keyboard and incredible composer, performer and improvisor.”

At the recital, Slominski will also demonstrate the similarities between Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s and Johannes Brahms’ work.

He said in addition to being a composer and pianist, “Brahms was a historian who was fond of music from the past and admired Mozart at a time when it was not fashionable.”

Slominski was a child prodigy. He first preformed publicly when he was 5 years old.

Slominski will demonstrate his technique by presenting his own embellished works of Mozart, Joseph Haydn and Carl Phillip Emmanuel Bach by reconstructing their style of performance.

The free recital will take place at 7 p.m. in Ice Auditorium and will be open to the public.