Senior singers deliver recital performance

Anne Walkup, Staff Writer

It’s not just anyone who can sing for an hour and a half and make it look easy. But seniors Jamie Foglesong, soprano, and Marcos Galvez, tenor, seemed to have no trouble enthralling their audience.

The two performed their senior recital Friday evening in Ice Auditorium to a lively crowd of students, family and community members. The end of each of each piece was met with applause, shouts and whistles.

The program opened with a piece sung by Foglesong; a performance by Galvez followed. The recital included a variety of pieces: songs in German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and English, as well as operatic and musical theater selections. Foglesong and Galvez sang a duet from “The Phantom of the Opera” for the finale.

Both students will soon graduate with bachelors of arts in music. Singing and performing have been a significant part of both their lives.

“I’ve been singing since I was in the fourth grade, and I began taking voice lessons in the fifth grade,” Foglesong said. In high school she continued with voice lessons and sang in choir. During her time at Linfield, she has been involved with the Concert Choir, Women’s Vocal Ensemble, and Opera and Musical Theater Workshops.

In addition to music, Galvez is also majoring in theater and has been highly involved with the department. Earlier this year, he appeared in Linfield’s production of “Ada and the Engine” as lead character Lovelace. He has also been involved in numerous Opera/Musical Theatre Workshop productions, the Linfield Concert Choir, and is a leader for Linfield’s student-led a cappella group Not Your Forte.

But although Foglesong’s and Galvez’s time at Linfield has nearly come to a close, music will not cease to be a part of their lives. Foglesong said she would like to pursue a career as either a choir teacher or voice teacher after graduation.

“Singing has taught me a lot about myself,” Foglesong said. “I truly do not know where I’d be without it.”