Spring players, play on

Kyle Huizinga, Staff writer

Linfield theater is presenting Lauren Gunderson’s “Silent Sky.” Performance dates are 7:30 p.m. April 12, 13, and 14 and 19, 20, and 21, with a matinee 2 p.m. Sunday, April 15.

The performance offers an interesting look into the life of Henrietta Leavitt, a famed historical astronomer and astrophysicist. Leavitt rose to fame when she measured and catalogued the brightness of stars for male astronomers at Harvard University.

Freshman Alexandria Hunter debuts as Leavitt and freshman Sam Hannigan will play Edward Charles Pickering. Scenic and lighting design was done by professor Ty Marshall with costume design by Laurel Peterson.

Senior Christina Godinez is the stage manager and professor Lindsey Mantoan provided dramaturgy.

“Lauren Gunderson’s luminously beautiful play is an intellectual epic told on an intimate scale. Bottom line: Heavenly,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution said in a review of the play.

Tickets are $9 for full price; $7 for seniors (62+), $7 for Linfield faculty and staff; and $5 for students (age 9+, any school, one ticket per ID). There will be a $2 discount on all tickets on opening night. Seating is reserved. Tickets are available online or at the Marshall Theatre Box Office.

Located in Ford Hall, the box office is open from 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and until performance time on performance days.

Two events will take place during the play season, the first on Thursday is a reception for retiring professor Ty Marshall.

Marshall has been a part of the Linfield faculty since 1987 and has helped grow the theater department into what it is today.

On Thursday, April 19, there will be a post-show discussion in which audience members can ask questions and discuss the topics presented in the play.