ASLC campaigns for 24-hour TJ Day access

Hannah Curry, Staff writer

The ASLC Senate members drafted a proposal to allow students 24-hour access to TJ Day as a common study space.

The idea for the proposal came after TJ Day’s extended hours were taken away about a year and a half ago. This year’s student government decided those hours were worth reinstating.

According to the proposal, TJ Day would be open all hours for student use, which would allow a common place for all students.

“The main reason I want it open 24 hours is because there are very few places on the main campus, other than the library, where freshman are able to study,” junior William Shannon said.

“Upperclassmen usually have access to department buildings and can just go use a room there to study.”
Dan Fergueson, Director of Activities and Fraternity and Sorority life, works as the lead advisor for any ASLC entity. Although purely the students came up with the proposal, he has read and heard the discussions about it. “The student senate agreed that [TJ Day] was a space that students used most of the night to study,” Fergueson said.

“After about a year and a half now it seems like we’ve been talking about this, the cabinet and the senate decided it was time to act on behalf of the students’ concerns.”

Even though the students have requested extended hours for TJ Day, concerns arise when it comes to the workload Facilities would have to add to get the rooms clean before 8 a.m. classes the next day.

“Part of why TJ was closed overnight was because those [classrooms] weren’t always left in teaching order,” Fergueson said. “A lot of the cons revolve around leaving the classroom space a classroom at the end of the night.”

Allison Horn, Director of Facilities, had not been informed of the proposal until approached by The Review, even though the proposal directly affects Facilities, which requests that classrooms be cleaned before the next morning.

“Having the TJ Day Hall classrooms open 24/7, and having them consistently prepared for teaching and learning would be extremely challenging,” Horn said.

“I’d be happy to brainstorm with students about alternative spaces on campus in order to get a better understanding of the goals and priorities of the request for 24/7 access.”

Fergueson feels it is necessary for students to have a common study place, but not necessarily one in an academic building.

“I do like the idea of having a space on campus for students to study,” Fergueson said. “I’m not sure one of the academic buildings, in the grand scheme of things, is the best choice.”

He went on to say that maybe a building like Riley, with lounges, would make more sense for students to have their own space all hours of the day.

In the meantime, students have requested a place to study, and TJ Day is in the works of fulfilling this request.

“I think that the petition ratified by the ASLC Senate is a step toward allowing students to make use of the resources that the building has to offer,” ASLC Senate member Joe Murphy said.

“I hope that the petition will help in allowing another option to become available in finding a nice and quiet place for students to work.”