Women’s soccer uses motivation from loss against Bearcats to defeat Pioneers

Alex Jensen, Sports editor

The Wildcats came out strong and aggressive against The Pioneers after a disappointing loss opposing the Willamette Bearcats on Saturday.

The women’s soccer team won 1-0 against the Pioneers and lost 0-1 against the Bearcats. The stands were packed this weekend as the team was home.

Saturday was a disappointing game for both the fans and the Wildcats when they had several attempts at the Bearcats’ goal but could not follow through. Both teams had equal possession of the ball, which added to the anticipation in the stands.

The Bearcats got one in at minute 28:24 after a Wildcat defender kicked the ball high up into the air, and once landed, bounced right over Yasmeen Ramos’s, ’19, head.

Bearcats forward snagged the ball and shot top left post. Wildcat goalkeeper Sarah Bailey’s, ’19, attempt to punch the ball out was unsuccessful.

“I think that we just need to reset, not necessarily forget about but we need to recognize what we did wrong and focus to fix it because we’re just a little sloppy, and I think once we fix that we’re a really good team and could be really dangerous,” Bailey said.

After the goal the Wildcats lost their rhythm.

“I think it was a really frustrating game, but I am proud about how our team fought to the very end,” Taylor Cole, ‘20, said.

“We didn’t get the win but I think that it is something that we could use as motivation to win our future games.”

Cole alongside other teammates coached the Westside Timber COPA U11 Tualatin-Sherwood team over the summer. Her players lined the field in their uniforms to assist as ball getters and to watch her coach’s play. Cole said the big reason why she had the girls out there was to show that their dreams could come true and play in college. To Cole, coaching the team is what makes soccer and developing the game important to her.

Determined to bounce back, the team came out strong and aggressive against the Pioneers having a resounding 28 shots on goal to Pioneers four.

Wildcats got a shot in at minute 26:02 in after having several attempts in the first half. Cole ran the ball down the field and crosses it in.

The Bearcats and Wildcats then had a mini kicking match in front of the cage but was finally able to get it bounced in. The entire stands went up cheering and then confused because no one knew who shot the goal. People were not sure if it was the Bearcats or if Baylie Cameron, ’20, knocked it in.

After a long pause, the loud speaker said, “Wildcats goal No. 3 Baylie Cameron,” and the fans cheered again.

The Wildcats held possession for the bulk of the game making smarter decisions and being more aggressive than Saturday’s game.

Bailey said that Sunday’s game the team had a bunch more energy, intensity and a hunger to win.

The ’Cats have an overall record of 4-4 and conference record of 2-2.

The Wildcats play George Fox 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 30, at Newberg and then against Pacific at noon Sunday, Oct. 1, at home.