International student-teacher teaches free French film class

Megan Ditore, Staff Writer

Movies are one of the most entertaining and if not, most inspirational type of media out there in the world. Films have the power to draw a person in and convey a powerful message, whether it’s a life lesson or to raise awareness of an important issue.

The “Encounters of all kinds: An Insight on the Representation of Immigration, Identity and Diversity in the French Cinema” class does exactly that. Clement Hossaert, the foreign language department’s French teaching assistant is teaching the class. The films in the classes mainly focus on films that revolve around immigration to the French nation.

“Immigration in France has been big since 1945. At that time, it was encouraged by government, because after Second World War, we needed more work force, and more people to rebuild the country,” Hossaert said. “Since the year of 2002, it has become more of an issue, for some people, but there are large communities.”

Hossaert mentioned the films he had selected for the class have a wide range of different viewpoints about the immigration in France.

“The films we are focusing on in the class are either made by white French people, about those communities, because they want to represent them. In a good way or bad way, you’re going to find some terrible movies about that,” Hossaert said.

“One of those movies we actually watched, because it’s interesting to see what racism can spawn into the movies and media. The other perspective is the perspective of the communities about themselves.”

His class is about “the representation itself than the immigration, because it’s more my training. But through the representation, you can get an idea of how French people can see immigration,” Hossaert said.

Hossaert discussed the benefits of taking the class and how the material can help understand immigration in France.

One of the purposes of the class is that it would help students understand what it is like to be an outsider to a new country and show the struggles they face. The course also explores colonialization and cultures that were involved in colonialization.

“We’re still welcoming students. I’ll be more than happy to have people talking in French and in English. The class can happen both ways, either in French or English. Every class is on Wednesday at 4:30 pm in Walker 203,” Hossaert said.