Men’s tennis defeats Lutes, struggle against Bearcats

Sara Levering, Staff Writer

The Wildcats were successful while traveling this past weekend defeating the Pacific Lutheran University Lutes 7-2.

In doubles action, freshman Trent Prussing and senior Tim Hawkins struggled at number one doubles, losing 8-3.

In second doubles, sophomores Liam Spearnak and Ben McNair played a tough match ultimately swinging in their favor 8-6.

In third doubles, freshmen duo Jacob Mangan and Carter Pentz played a close match but gathered the victory in the end decisively, winning 8-5.

Going into singles action ahead 2-1, it was in their favor to gather a victory for Linfield. In first singles, Prussing took a bit to warm up losing in the first set 2-6, but gathered himself and won decisively 6-0.

The match had already been decided, thus, Prussing played one game and then a tiebreaker, which swung in his favor 7-6.

McNair played second singles and won in straight sets 7-6, 6-1. Mangan at third singles won in straight sets as well, 6-4, 6-3.

Pentz at four singles was the lone Linfield singles player to go down, but not without a fight. The match went three sets and a tiebreaker 7-6, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5 tiebreaker).

Spearnak at five singles excelled past his opponent for the win 6-0, 6-4. Junior Alec Wisthoff defeated his opponent without any struggle 6-2, 6-0 at six singles.

Playing against Willamette in Salem, Oregn, Linfield struggled to get the victory. In doubles action, Prussing and Hawkins continued to struggle as a duo and lost 8-2.

In second doubles, Spearnak and McNair put up a good fight but ended up on the losing side of the court 8-5.

Mangan and Pentz were the only doubles team that put together a win for Linfield with a score of 8-5.

An exhibition doubles match featuring Alec Wisthoff and sophomore Grant Barrow won 8-1.

Linfield had some catching up to do going into singles action. McNair was back to playing number one singles and won in straight sets 6-3, 6-3. Prussing went back to two singles and lost in straight sets 6-1, 6-4.

Mangan at three singles put together a win for Linfield in a three-set fashion winning the first 6-4, losing the second 3-6, and winning the third in a tiebreaker 10-7.

Pentz struggled at the fourth singles losing 6-2, 6-1. As well as Spearnak losing in five singles 6-1, 6-3. Wisthoff was able to edge his opponent 6-3, 6-2 grabbing the victory.

“We played really well Saturday against PLU and not so well today against Willamette.

“I’m happy with the outcome of PLU, but today’s matches were a real shame. We just need to keep our heads up and finish strong,” Spearnak said.