Wildcats fall to Seattle University in last match of season

Sara Levering, Copy Editor

The Linfield Wildcats traveled to Seattle to face Seattle University and might have played their best tennis and saved their best performance for last, even though it resulted in a loss. They came out on the losing side of the match, getting defeated 9-0.

At one doubles, senior Tim Hawkins and freshman Trent Prussing performed well, before getting defeated 6-2. In number two doubles, the freshmen duo of Jacob Mangan and Carter Pentz battled, but also fell 6-3.

Third doubles duo of junior Charlie Farrenkopf and Liam Spearnak were the lone doubles team to grab a victory for Linfield, winning 6-4.

In singles action, Prussing went down in straight sets 6-1, 6-1 at number one singles. In second singles, Mangan was defeated 6-0, 6-1. Third singles played by Hawkins, but he was defeated in straight sets 6-0, 6-0.

In the bottom flight of singles, junior Alec Wisthoff played four singles and went down in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. Farrenkopf played five singles and was beat 6-2, 6-1. At six singles, freshman Eric Rutherford was beat easily 6-0, 6-0.

This concludes Coach Belletto’s first season as a coach at Linfield with a 4-14 record.

“I’m so excited with the way everyone competed. I’m sad the season has come to a close, but next season will be special and I can’t wait for fall,” Belletto said.

“Things we could have done better are not play a D1 team and I think we could have done better in singles and been more aggressive,” Spearnak said.

“It’s been a great season overall and I wouldn’t want to share it with a different group of guys,” he said.