Lady Wildcats fall to the Pioneers, dominate the Bruins

Sara Levering, Copy Editor

One doubles duo sophomore Ella Riddle and freshman Elsa Harris were the lone victors of Saturday’s match against Lewis and Clark. They won 8-3 against a nationally ranked team.

The Lady Wildcats struggled against the number one contender of the Northwest Conference and ultimately, Lewis and Clark was crowned the Northwest Conference champion.

In a rivalry at number one singles, Lewis and Clark’s number one singles player got the best of Riddle in their showdown. A three-set match ended with Riddle on the losing side. The score was 6-2, 6-7 (3-7) and 10-7.

Notable mention in second doubles, sophomores Marisa Doveri and Basia Kopecka gave Lewis and Clark a run for their money before losing a match 8-5.

All singles matches aside from Riddle’s were won by Lewis and Clark in straight sets. Lewis and Clark won the match 8-1.

The Lady Wildcats bounced back in their last match of the season against George Fox and had a winning outcome of 6-3.

Riddle and Harris had a tightly-fought match but came out on the winning side once again, taking the match 9-7. Doveri and Kopecka won decisively 8-4 at number two doubles. And third doubles team duo of junior Courtney Mostul and sophomore Sierra Lemon were on the losing side going down 8-3.

The Wildcats were still leading going into singles, this time up 2-1. In singles action, Riddle beat her opponent in straight sets 6-4, 6-2. Harris equally had an easy time beating her opponent at two singles 6-3, 6-0.

Doveri struggled at three singles going down 1-6, 3-6. Kopecka won decisively in straight sets 7-5, 6-1.

Kume played two tight sets resulting in both tie-breakers, unfortunately not swinging in her favor. She went down 6-7 (1-7), 6-7 (7-9) at five singles. This gave George Fox their last point on the scoreboard for the match.

Lemon at six singles won her first set 6-4, lost her second 0-6 and was heading into a third set. The match had already been decided, therefore she played one game and then a tie-breaker to finish off the match.

The Linfield Wildcats secured the number three spot in the Northwest Conference tournament. They finish 9-3 against Northwest Conference opponents.

Next weekend, the Linfield Wildcats will head up to Lewis and Clark, since they are the number one seed. They will be facing Whitman on Saturday at approximately 2 p.m.