Men’s tennis struggles in home matches

Sara Levering, Copy Editor

The Linfield Wildcats struggled with their last home matches of the season getting blanked first by Lewis and Clark who is nationally ranked at 30 and regionally number six.

First in doubles, senior Tim Hawkins and freshman Trent Prussing tried to put their best foot forward but struggled inevitably, going down 8-3. Second doubles sophomore duo Ben McNair and Liam Spearnak also had a tough day on the courts, losing 8-2. Third doubles consisted of freshmen duo Jacob Mangan and Carter Pentz, and they were on the losing end as well losing 8-3.

It was a familiar feeling for the Wildcats season going 0-3 into singles play and needing to put some numbers up on the board to contend for a win against Lewis and Clark.

First singles McNair lost in straight sets 6-3, 6-0. Second singles Prussing also lost 6-3, 6-0. Mangan had a little bit more luck and competed well against his opponent in the first set, but went down in the second harshly 6-4, 6-1.

Pentz at four singles tried his best but also went down 6-3, 6-1. Spearnak went down 6-3, 6-2 and freshman Alec Wisthoff went down 6-2, 6-1 at six singles.

The match against George Fox did not look much different from the day previous. The Wildcats were blanked again.

Prussing and Hawkins looked like they were going to contend well against this duo at one doubles, but went down 8-1. Second doubles had plenty of volley wars, unfortunately not swinging in Linfield’s favor. McNair and Spearnak went down 8-3.

At third doubles, Mangan and Pentz struggled and also went down 8-3.

Singles did not look promising. McNair went down quickly in straight sets 6-1, 6-0. Prussing at two singles battled hard in the first set but went down 6-3, 6-0.

Mangan went down 6-2, 6-2. Pentz battled hard in the first set and took a tough loss 6-4, 6-1.

Hawkins struggled at five singles going down 6-1, 6-1. Wisthoff at six singles went down 6-4, 6-1.

The Wildcats finish the season 3-8 against Northwest Conference opponents. Next up, on Tuesday, they face Portland State and on Saturday, April 23 the ’Cats face Seattle.