Lady ’Cats pounce on Bellevue College, Puget Sound

Sara Levering, Copy Editor

The Linfield Wildcats came back from spring break and hosted a non-conference match against Bellevue College and had very little problem defeating them.

In doubles, sophomore Ella Riddle and freshman Elsa Harris won eight straight games and won at the number one doubles position. At the number two doubles position, sophomores Marisa Doveri and Basia Kopecka won with little struggle, before honing in on an 8-2 victory.

And sophomore Sierra Lemon and junior Laurel Nelson toughed it out with a hard fought victory 6-8 to give the Wildcats a 2-1 lead going into singles action.

Four of the six singles match-ups were won by the Lady ’Cats in straight sets. Riddle at the number one singles position remained undefeated and won 6-0, 6-0. Doveri at number three with powerful strokes won 6-0, 6-3.

At four singles, Kopecka had very little trouble defeating her opponent 6-1, 6-2. Lemon at five singles won decisively 6-2, 6-1.

Harris at number two faced a tough opponent and played two tiebreakers, lost the first set 6-7, won the second set 6-2 and won the tiebreaker to win the third set 7-6 and match.

Junior Courtney Mostul won her first set and fought hard all the way through a tie-breaker 7-6 for the first set, lost the second set and won the third 7-5.

Sunday, the Wildcats traveled to Puget Sound and did not lose a single match, the score ended up 9-0. Riddle and Harris rolled easily for an 8-1 win.

Both second and third doubles won 8-2 with very little struggle. The Wildcats once again leading, this time 3-0 going into singles action.

Riddle won 6-2, 6-1 and Harris won in straight sets 6-0, 6-3. Both Doveri and Kopecka finished and won in straight sets 6-0, 6-0. Fifth singles Lemon won 6-4, 6-1. Nelson was in the line-up for six singles and won decisively 6-2, 6-2 for her second career varsity singles win.

The Wildcats improve to 6-2 in the Northwest Conference and 9-4 overall.

Next up, the Wildcats take on Pacific Lutheran at 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 9 and Willamette at 11 a.m. on April 10, which are both at home.