New ASLC presidents select cabinet

Michaela Fujita, Photo editor

On Tuesday, newly elected ASLC President Nathan Pellatz ’17 and Vice President Mikenna Whatley announced to the senate the new cabinet members for the 2016-17 school year.

There were 15 people who applied for various positions on the cabinet.

While this gave Pellatz and Whatley a large pool to choose from, it made the hiring process a tough decision.

Pellatz said that all of the applicants were well qualified and had great experience with student involvement and government.

“The group that we picked was all people that would work well together and get their things done as a team,” Pellatz said.

The cabinet still needs to be ratified by the senate after Spring Break, but the hired applicants include Cruz Morey, ’17, vice president of programming and Theo Petropoulos, ‘17, for vice president of business and finance.

Other cabinet members are Helen Lee, ‘17, secretary; Mike Sheldon, ‘18, student center director; Connell Crabtree, ‘18, club director; Elizabeth Gibson, ‘18, publicity director and Bobby Tarnapoll, ‘18, IM sports director.

All of these applicants were hired for the betterment of the student body and are excited for the opportunity to lead ASLC.

Pellatz reflected, “This is a great opportunity for me … I will make the most of this position, and work as hard as I can. I look forward to working hard to make everyone’s 2016-2017 school year their best yet.”

During the election on Tuesday, March 8, 39 percent of the student body voted. Pellatz won with 52 percent of the votes against opponent Patty Roberts, 17, who received 42.9 percent of student votes. Whatley, who was the only student running for vice president, won with 81 percent of the votes.