Students celebrate Linfield’s 158th birthday

Emma Bloomfield, Staff Writer

Students gathered to celebrate Linfield’s birthday with raffle prizes, cake, birthday poster signing and took pictures with Mack the Wildcat.

Linfield for Life sponsored the annual event with the purpose of celebrating Linfield’s birthday and the history of the college. They also offered an original Snapchat filter for those who attended.

The event was held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Feb. 29, in the Fred Meyer Lounge.

Linfield was founded in 1858. Although it was initially named McMinnville College, it was renamed in 1922 to honor a trustee of the college, Rev. George Fisher Linfield.

Debbi Harmon Ferry, director of alumni and parent relations and Achmat Jappie '16 great students at Linfield's birthday party.
Michaela Fujita/Photo editor
Debbi Harmon Ferry, director of alumni and parent relations and Achmat Jappie ’16 great students at Linfield’s birthday party.

Playing “Celebration” and other lively songs, Linfield’s birthday party was an exciting and fun affair for all students that attended.

Upon entering there were students greeting every one walking in and asking them to sign a giant birthday poster for the school.

Taking pictures with Mack the Wildcat, socializing, and listening to music created a fun and exciting environment while students came and left the event as they pleased.

The raffle offered prizes such as gift cards and t-shirts.

Students were excited over the cake that was offered, saying things such as, “I made a beeline for the cake.”

Israel Fregoso '19 poses with Mac the Wildcat at Linfield's birthday celebration.
Michaela Fujita/photo editor
Israel Fregoso ’19 poses with Mac the Wildcat at Linfield’s birthday celebration.

Sororities and fraternities had booths to share their chapter’s history with students.

A career development booth offered students a chance to write down their dreams on a star. Many wrote about wanting to be successful, traveling and inspiring others.