Women’s tennis starts season strong

Sara Levering, Copy Editor

The Lady ’Cats found success in California before spring semester even began.

They kicked off their season with four pre-season matches against Cal Tech, La Verne, Redlands and Chapman.

At a national ranking of 35 and regional ranking of 9, the Linfield women’s tennis team is off to a stellar season.

They finished their matches in California winning 3-1, only losing to Redlands. Basia Kopecka, ’18, seized the only win on the day against Redlands. It was a close call against La Verne, but the Wildcats came out on top winning 5-4.

Linfield finished off doubles leading 2-1 and singles followed.

The Lady ’Cats had three back to back matches this past weekend. First facing Whitworth. In their first match of conference play of the season against Whitworth, Linfield dominated 8-1 to start off.

Linfield’s lone loss was a three-set super tiebreaker.

Courtney Mostul, ’17, won the opening set, but the Pirate junior took the second and both battled in the tiebreaker. The Wildcats swept in doubles play.

In the number one position, Ella Riddle, ’18, and Elsa Harris, ’19, won 8-2.

In the number two position, Marisa Doveri, ’18, and Sierra Lemon, ’18, won 8-4.

And in number three position, Mostul and Kopecka, ’18, had a near shutout winning 8-1.

Facing Trinity, the next day, Riddle and Lemon were the lone victors for the day.

Trinity swept in doubles action. Riddle defeated Caroline Kutach 6-3, 6-2 in number one singles and Lemon won in a 10-point tiebreaker in the fifth position. Lemon was also put in a tight battle in doubles action with Doveri, ultimately losing 8-6.

In their attempt to bounce back in another conference play against Whitman, the Wildcats fell 7-2. Whitman swept in doubles action, all three doubles pairings were close.

Riddle and Harris lost 8-5, Doveri and Lemon lost 8-4 and Kopecka and Mostul lost 8-5 as well.

Riddle and Harris were the lone victors in singles. Riddle won in a tight tiebreaker fashion. Harris won decisively in two quick sets, 6-2, 6-1.

Ella Riddle said, “The more matches we play together, the most unified we become as a team and this allows us to play our best tennis.”

She continued that there was a lot of fight to be had this weekend all around.

She is mostly excited for “our first home match this upcoming weekend because it feels great to play on our own courts and to be able to start the season off at home is awesome!”

She implied that there is a lot of potential on this team and the best tennis is yet to come.

Stay tuned for back to back women’s action at home, this upcoming Saturday when the Lady ‘Cats take on Puget Sound at 1pm and Sunday against Pacific also at 1pm.