‘Cats’ guard off to strong start

Kaelia Neal, Sports Editor

Just one assist shy of achieving her first career triple-double, the 5’8” junior guard has had an excellent start to her third season as a member of the women’s basketball team.

Quincey Gibson, an exercise science major from Issaquah, Washington, scored 21 points against Cal Tech in Pasadena, California during Thanksgiving break. She had 10 rebounds and nine assists.

“So far I have had a really good season,” Gibson said. “With the new coaching staff I have so much more confidence when I play.”

“Quincey has done an excellent job as our starting point guard. She finds her teammates, stays composed under pressure and is becoming a tremendous scoring threat as well,” head coach Casey Bunn said.

With her free throw percentage of 94.6 as a sophomore, Gibson said she holds the school record. This year, Gibson wants to achieve holding the record for the most assists.

Her other personal goal is to earn first- or second-team all-league honors.

Gibson said the team goal is to make it to the conference tournament.

“We have the talent and a great coaching staff that can lead us in that direction,” she said. “It is such a different feel this year. I don’t think we could have had anybody better step in.”

The Wildcats look to improve their 13-12 overall record from the previous season, and they hope to grow closer as a team.

“Our team is working really hard every day at our new philosophies. They push each other at every position and that will really help us to stay competitive throughout the season,” Coach Bunn said.

Gibson said that the team’s defense is good, and the Lady ’Cats play a “fast-paced game” with an “up-beat tempo.”

“We’re still working on communication but we have gotten a lot better,” she said.

Another goal for Gibson is to be a role model for her teammates and to be someone that the players can look to for advice.

“I want to be recognized as a good player on the court,” she said.

“As a point guard you have to be a leader on the floor. Quincey has done a great job of stepping up and into more of a leadership role. Her hard work and commitment will take her places. She’s got the right attitude and will to continue to be a huge part of this team’s successes,” Coach Bunn said.

Gibson started playing basketball around the age of five. She said she started playing because her mom was a coach.

“I was always around the game,” Gibson said.

During her elementary years, Gibson was the only female player on her baseball team. In the sixth grade, Gibson played one season of softball and decided to focus on basketball from there on out.

In high school, her mom was her basketball coach, but that did not mean Gibson received special treatment on the court.

“I wasn’t treated like her daughter,” Gibson said. “She pushed me more if anything.”

Gibson credits her mother for shaping herself into a player that works hard for what she wants.

“I have a really good relationship with my mom. Playing for her was an honor,” Gibson said.

“Quincey is a very dedicated student and basketball player, she’s a gym rat and has very high expectations for herself in the class room and on the court. She’s a selfless teammate who wants to do right by her team and work hard for the people she works so hard for each day,” Coach Bunn said.

The love for basketball runs in Gibson’s family. Not only did her mother coach for years, but also her brother plays at Eastern Washington University.

Gibson was back and forth between her decisions of which college to play for. Being from the Seattle area, she was interested in playing at Central Washington University, which is where her father earned his education.

But she was not guaranteed playing time at the Division II School, and she wanted to go somewhere that could do that for her.

“Not knowing if I had a spot on the team scared me.”

When Gibson visited Linfield during her senior of high school, she had a good impression.

“I liked the staff, and my future teammates were welcoming,” she said.

In her spare time she enjoys playing the guitar. Gibson also represents women’s basketball at the Student Athletic Advisory Committee.