Seniors’ final match ends in double overtime loss

Joe Stuart, For the Review

The Wildcat men’s soccer season ended with a heartbreaking double-overtime loss to Willamette University on Saturday, losing 3-2.

Linfield (9-11, 5-11) was looking to finish with a .500 overall record, after securing the best record under head coach Chuck Bechtol last week against Whitman College.

The Willamette Bearcats (6-11-1, 5-8-1) were out for revenge and got it, as they lost the previous matchup between the two teams in a 2-0 match in October.

The Bearcats started out strong, scoring the first goal of the match in the 28th minute of the first half. The goal came from Christopher Barnes off the assist by Tyler Yates.

Barnes’s goal was the only score of the first half.

Linfield was able to answer back early in the second half, with Ivan Colin, ’16, scoring less than five minutes into the half to tie the score.

It was Colin’s second goal of the season and the final score of his Linfield career.

The Wildcats were able to create a lead in the 68th minute when Brian Degrandmont, ’17, scored off the assist from Moi Diaz, ’18, to go up 2-1.

It was Degrandmont’s seventh goal of the season. He and Diaz both finished the season with seven goals, which led the team and is fifth highest in the conference.

Diaz’s assist was his fifth on the season, which tied him with Alexander Gosselin-Bockel, ’16, as the team leader and at fifth in the conference.

Willamette did not let the lead last long, with Jesse Thompson scoring less than 10 minutes later, also assisted by Yates.

At the end of regulation time, the teams were tied at 2-2 and headed to their first overtime.

No goals were scored in the first overtime period, although both teams had shots that were close to being on goal.

In the sudden death second overtime, Linfield did not have a chance to take a single shot, despite taking 25 total shots to Willamette’s 16.

The match ended when the Bearcat’s Alan Hernandez found the back of the net from 18 feet out in the 105th minute, winning the match for his team 3-2.

Willamette finished the season tied for fourth place with Pacific University, one spot ahead of the fifth place Wildcats.

It was the final career match for five Linfield seniors. Brandon Brooks, ’16, Piikea Kailio, ’16, Tyler Repic, ’16, and Colin all started in their final match in Wildcat uniforms.