Jan term events expanded to accommodate freshmen

Haylee Harris, For the Review

This coming January term has become a requirement for freshman and it’s not just a time for learning because there are planned events for people to attend.

There will be a “passport” system put into place where people can check off the events they attend as they go.  If they attend 4-5 events and then attend smaller, social events, they will be eligible for a drawing where they could win things like free books for a semester.

“Developing Jan term programming and requiring first year students to attend is part of the Linfield College Strategic Plan, focusing on retention, creating a cohesive and intentional co-curricular experience for first year students Jan term will build on pre-orientation programs, Orientation and Colloquium,” said Susan Hopp, Vice President of Student Affairs and Athletics.

The co-curricular events for next year’s Jan term were planned by Susan Agre-Kippenhan, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty, as well as two recent Linfield graduates, Marit Berning and Rachel Axtman.

“We worked with a group of student leaders this summer who advised us on programs they thought would be good for Jan term.” Hopp says.

The events will be centered around four goals: creating a community among students, exposure to beginning career planning, exploring diversity and identity and experiencing civic engagement.

Some faculty members have also volunteered to do presentations about their favorite topics and share their hobbies with the students during Jan term.

Most of these events will be for freshman, however, some events will be open to upper-classmen.

There will be a big event to kick-off Jan term on Jan. 4 and a closing event on Jan. 29.