Norwegian, Sami culture on display for students

Kellie Bowen, Staff Writer

Linfield’s PLACE program put together an event that was both a performance and discussion panel about the similarities between the Sámi people of Norway and some Native American tribes.

There were three natives from Arctic Norway, two men to represent the Native American tribes, two trans- lators, and Linfield’s Anthropology/Sociology professor, Tom Love.

The Norwegians performed a small collection of songs.

Most of these songs were about the hardship of winter and longing for the warm summer.

Stina Fagertun sang the lyrical songs and recited poems of faith and prayer and were recited over a soft melody played on the piano.

Øistein Hanssen played a variety of short songs that he wrote on several different kinds of Sámi flutes, few of which he made himself. Anita Barth-Jørgensen played the piano, drum and sang backup vocals for Fagertun.

One of the two men who were from the Native American tribes said that there are many original Native songs that sound very similar to a different tribes’ songs or even today’s modern tunes.

“You might actually find this song I’m going to play familiar.”

He performed a chant with a handmade drum with a melody that did sound vaguely recognizable.

The man to his right was a story teller, who told the audience an ancient Native myth of an ogre woman, Tataklea, who ate children who misbehaved.

At the end of the performances, the two translators talked about their experience in wanting to share the culture with others as well as reciting a Sámi poem.

Professor Love transitioned into the panel discussion with a brief description of Norwegian culture.