Students learn about health and wellness

Emily Eisert, Opinion editor

The Health, Wellness and Counseling center hosted Wellness Week and had events focusing on a different aspect of health each day.

Students were able to participate in the activities and get brochures and flyers with information about the topic at a table in the Walker Courtyard.

“We want to spread awareness about wellness issues on campus and things to keep people healthy,” said Kara Kepple, coordinator of health and wellness programming.

The week started with a physical activity focus. Students were able to participate in activities such as hula hooping and jump roping.

Tuesdays focus was sexual health and healthy relationships. Students were able to pick up “love kits” which included condoms so students can practice safe sex.

Nutrition was the focus on Wednesday with recipes being distributed which promoted healthy eating.

Students were able to receive flu shots and meningococcal vaccines on-campus both Thursday and Friday.

Friday also focused on stress reduction. Chalk was provided for students to write how they reduce stress.

Kepple was in charge of Wellness Week and said that it is important to promote wellness this time of the year.

“We like to do it in the beginning of the year because with freshman students coming in, we want to give them the information that they need,” said Kepple.

Providing students with the information they need to be healthy and successful at Linfield is one of the main reasons the Health and Wellness center puts on Wellness Week.

“I think it’s important for students to have information and it’s important for us to get out and give the information,” said sophomore Ellen Jung who works for the health center.

Wellness week is the start of wellness programming for the year.

Next week is the beginning of the Verizon Hopeline Drive, which supports domestic violence survivors, and wellness chairs in the residence halls will be doing two events within their halls to continue the promotion of health that Wellness Week began.

“Giving information to the students and the students saying that the information really helps was fun to see,” said Kepple.

Students who participated in the week’s wellness events are now more informed about health and wellness issues.