Marijuana legal in Oregon, banned at Linfield

Megan Ditore, For the Review

New Oregon law changes nothing.

Linfield College, like other institutions of higher education across the country, is required under the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 to educate students about the illegal use of drugs and alcohol.

Linfield wants students and employees to be thoughtful to the problems which alcohol and other drugs pose for the successful functioning of individuals and as an institution of learning according to the Linfield website.

The mission of the college is to provide an environment that is safe and promotes excellence in learning for its students and in work performance for all of its employees.

Therefore, the misuse and illegal use, possession, transportation, distribution, manufacture, or sale of alcohol and other drugs is not permitted on property owned or controlled by the college, or while representing the college on business or in other college sponsored activity, according to the Linfield Drug Policy.

Recreational sale to adults and use of marijuana became legal in Oregon on Oct. 1 but that doesn’t make it legal for the students on campus.

Students 21 years of age or older do not get a pass if caught using marijuana on campus. Nor can they smoke weed in the privacy of a dorm room.

Marijuana, in all its forms, still violates school regulations at any Oregon college that receives federal funding.

Ron Noble, Director of College Public Safety (CPS), said that under the Safe Schools Act it is a violation to be in possession of marijuana on campus because the school receives federal funding.

With federal funding come things like financial aid. Even if Linfield wasn’t under the Safe Schools Act, campus is still located on private property so the school could decide against the new state law on their own property.

If a student is caught with marijuana, CPS will usually write a conduct referral to either the Area Director or Resident Advisor. They will also dispose of all illegal contents present.

CPS officers assist in maintaining public peace and order. They protect faculty, staff, students, visitors and property from crime and safety hazards.

All CPS Officers are licensed and certified by the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training and may issue warnings or initiate arrests as defined in the Oregon Revised Statues, according to the Linfield website.

Even though the state of Oregon can now sell recreational marijuana legally, nothing has changed or will change on campus.