Summer renovations improve Renshaw hall, on-campus living

Adam Myren, Staff Writer

As the Fall semester welcomes the largest new batch of Linfield students in history, returners may take note of a number of renovations that maintain Linfield’s effort of offering a beautiful and relevant campus.

These improvements include renovations to student housing (both dorms and on-campus apartments), improvements of classrooms in various buildings and departments and updates to electrical systems and streetscapes all around Linfield.

Allison Horn, director of facilities and auxiliary services, explained the details of the improvement projects completed this summer.

Mahaffey Hall was the recipient of countless hours of hard work by the facilities team. Returning students may recognize an upgraded entry ramp in the main entrance.

All Fall 2015 Mahaffey residents will now enjoy new shower units along with tile and floor drains in the bathrooms.

To complete the renovation to one of Linfield’s larger residence-halls, new carpet and upgraded electrical services will allow Linfield students to enjoy comfortable living while focusing on studies.

Renshaw Hall, home to the mass communication and computer science departments, was known to suffer winter leakage in years past.

This summer Linfield decided to replace a lackluster EIFS (Exterior Insulated Finish System) with a brand new rain screen wall system.

This was one of Linfield’s larger renovations as well, as it included the removal of the old EIFS then required correction to the water damage that resulted from the leakage.

The updates can be noticed first by the new windows on the south and west walls that line the classrooms in Renshaw.

Finally, the installation of a weather resistant barrier (WRB), flashing, and Kynar coated metal siding completed the rain screen wall system that will protect one of Linfield’s beloved academic buildings from the elements.

Residents of the Blaine Street Apartments, known in short as the “Greens” can enjoy a new roof of the building.

The old fire-alarm devices were removed from the Legacy Apartments. The College Ave., “Whites” apartments with the address 382 (which includes apartment 15-22) were the recipient of a new exterior paint-job, while individual units (#14, 16, and 18) were refreshed with interior renovations.

With a sweltering summer lingering, Campbell Hall residence can enjoy new thermostat control valves. Along with Campbell, Dana and Larsell locks were replaced as well.

Miller Hall received new furniture which was the 2014 Summer dorm project.

An entire HP building also received an update of all soft furniture to improve comfort of residents.

Potter and Memorial Hall both received new carpet in various areas.

All students dining in Dillon Hall will be glad to know that new and improved chair glides were installed which should reduce the screech that was common in Dillon in years past.

A hard-working paint crew composed of one full-time staff and 12 student employees were able to paint the interiors and porch columns of Whitman and Mahaffey halls, Grover and Pioneer interiors and classrooms on the second floor of Graf hall.

Horn and her dedicated full-time staff in Facilities and Auxiliary Services along with over 100 student employees over summer were able to keep Linfield’s campus looking pristine while also making improvements to both on-campus living and learning.