Linfield students create PLACE inspired theater production

Kellie Bowen, Staff Writer

Linfield’s theater department’s first production of the year focuses largely on sustainability and opened this Thursday and runs through Saturday, Sept. 19

The play, “We Are But One Thread” is directed by Jerry Goralnick and is performed at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 17, 18 and 19 in Marshall Theater inside Ford Hall.

The play, which was made by 10 students, was inspired by this year’s PLACE theme, “Air, Water, Earth, and Fire: The Ancient Elements on A Changing Planet.” The director, Jerry Goralnick, who is from the Living Theatre Project in New York, guided the students in the process of creating the play over the course of 10 days.

“We Are But One Thread” is about how people are changing the physical environment of the earth. The play’s script has also incorporated references to this year’s common reading, “The Sixth Extinction” by Elizabeth Kolbert.

Costume Designer Alethia Moore-Del Monalo explained that the play will also go into detail about how we as “one thread” can help the earth and become more sustainable.

What is so unique about this play is that the students have pieced this work together almost all by themselves.

Students Gabi Esparza and Christina Godinez explained more about how the script came to be.

“We talked a lot about climate change and the script kind of pieced together when we would sit around and talk about it. It evolved from opinions, exercises, games and other things that we did to get to know each other,” Godinez said. “We had a lot of fun putting it together.”

The students even composed their own songs for the play.

“We have accomplished a large amount in a really short time … I think it’s very different from what people are used to seeing, so people should come out and support what these kids have been busting their asses off to make,” Goralnick said.