On-campus counseling offered to students

Rosa Johnson, Managing Editor

Flags around campus were lowered in honor of sophomore Parker Moore’s lost life.
Students and faculty gathered together in Ice Auditorium on Nov. 16 in memory of Moore.
President of Linfield College Thomas L. Hellie informed students of changes on campus regarding recent events.
Presidents from Northwest Conference colleges such as Whitworth University, Whitman College, Lewis & Clark College, Willamette University and Pacific University have all acknowledged Moore, according to Hellie.
“In fact, after losing to us yesterday by 59 to nothing, Pacific University posted on their website a photograph of a Pacific football player kneeling with his helmet on the ground and a caption that reads, ‘Today, we are all Wildcats.’” Hellie said.
Hellie, Area Directors Delane Hein and Esperance Ibuka, and Chaplain David Massey announced that they met with the Moore family on the afternoon of Nov. 16.
Counselors from George Fox University will be on campus for the remainder of the week in order help provide more resources for students and staff.
An official date for an on-campus memorial will be announced on Nov. 17 and will be scheduled either before or after the Thanksgiving break.
Students, coaches, friends and family have been creating a memorial for Moore on the fence next to Maxwell Field.
Head Coach Joe Smith pinned Moore’s jersey to the fence while students left notes, flowers and lit candles in memoriam.
The memorial will stay up until the beginning of Thanksgiving break and afterward all of the items left will be delivered to the Moore family.
Massey shared the symptoms of normal grief symptoms along with the importance of eating, exercising and expressing through difficult times.
Classes are going to continue as scheduled in order to pertain a certain degree of structure for on campus activities, according to Hellie.
“The fabric of our community was ripped and torn by a tragic and senseless act last night and we are reeling from it. It will take time to recover and on some respects we will never be the same,” Hellie said.
For the remainder of the week Riley 208 will act as another on campus resource for prayer, meditation and grieving. For additional questions you can contact the Counseling Center at (503) 883-2535 or find them in Walker 103.