Social media taps into tragedy

Gilberto Galvez, Culture editor

In the wake of the tragedy, the Linfield community has taken to social media to demonstrate its love for sophomore Parker Moore, the immense sadness at his loss, and support for his friends, family and each other.
Several trends have spread through Facebook and Twitter. The hashtags #PrayForParker, #LinfieldStrong and #RIPParker have been used with pictures of Moore or with heartfelt comments from other students to commemorate Moore.
Tweets and Facebook posts conveyed the community’s shock and pain, such as “I never thought I would have to write this. Parker was an amazing team[mate] and friend. RIP homie we will all miss you. #linfieldstrong.”
Students have also started changing their Facebook profile pictures to a graphic with Moore’s football numbers from his high school in Woodinville, Washington, 44, and from the Linfield team, 35.
Moore played as a defensive linebacker in both high school and college.
Another graphic being used is that of the Wildcat mascot on a purple background with the text “#LinfieldStrong #35” above it.
Alumni have also shown their concern for Linfield, commenting on Linfield’s Facebook page’s post and changing their profile pictures as well.
“[Moore] was really a great Linfield person,” President of Linfield College Thomas L. Hellie said on Nov. 16.
“I’ve heard from alumni, parents and trustees. Churches from McMinn-ville to Boston are praying for Linfield and for Parker’s family. Hundreds of our alumni have posted messages on Facebook registering their shock at what has happened and their solidarity with us, all of them talk about the Linfield community again and again,” Hellie said.
This influx to Facebook and coverage from other news sites has sent Linfield to a high position in local trends.
Clicking on the trend reveals not only that news coverage, but also pictures from the student-led memorial to Moore on Linfield’s campus, are circulating widely.
People have also shared and retweeted posts about Moore.
Social media has created a place for the Linfield community to come together and strengthen the Wildcat bond in these trying times.