Researcher talks marijuana legalization in Oregon

Jonathan Williams, News Editor

An expert marijuana researcher expressed his concerns about the implications of what will happen if the drug is passed in Oregon through the information brought up in his book, “Marijuana Nation.”

Roger Roffman, professor Emeritus of social work at the University of Washington presented his book, “Marijuana Nation” and talked about current debates on marijuana on Oct. 22 in Nicholson Library.

As an admitted pot-smoker as a youth and college student Roffman said, “It opened my eyes.”

He made it clear that marijuana was the glue in the 1960s and ‘70s for movements of change.

“The symbolism of pot and its acceptability is not the same as that of alcohol,” Roffman said.

“[Marijuana was] the greening of America for pushing movements,” Roffman said.

Roffman attributed movements from the ‘70s that led the U.S. to create laws that began to decriminalize marijuana.

The ‘70s also brought about an increased use of drug testing in the work place as well as an increased use by teens.

Roffman himself was “a dealer” for a short amount of time to cancer patients who he knew benefited from the use of smoking the drug.

The ‘90s saw little reform for marijuana but the beginning of the 2000s started to see some reform again for the drug.

Roffman used Norm Stamper as an example since he was the chief of the Seattle Police Department during the time that the World Trade Organization hosted their convention in Seattle and saw much dissent from protesters against the organization.

Stamper advocated to legalize marijuana because he thought it “would create safer and healthier communities.”

Roffman mentioned that there are large costs involved for those caught possessing marijuana.

He also mentioned that there have been large injustices against colored males who have been arrested for possession of marijuana.

“The public is woefully undereducated on the benefits and cons for pot use,” Roffman said.

He highlighted that those in opposition for legalizing marijuana are most concerned that by legalizing it, it would send the wrong message, more children would have access to the drug and there would be an increase in car accidents.

Roffman acknowledged that although he is for legalizing marijuana he does agree with the concerns that those in the opposition have.

When Washington had a measure for legalizing marijuana 55.7 percent of voters voted to pass the measure.

Roffman also discussed what would happen if measure 91 passes in Oregon on Nov. 4.

If measure 91 is passed in Oregon, Oregonians would be allowed to grow up to four marijuana plants in their home and there would be no driver impairment THC level law unlike there is in Washington.

Roffman said that there would be less enforcement for marijuana in Oregon if it were legalized as opposed to the amount of enforcement for it in Washington as it is currently legal in that state.

Roffman mentioned that marijuana can cause poor grades and for students to drop out of college for those that abuse the drug.

He also said, that as long as people are responsible and use it in moderation, “the occasional use of marijuana is not harmful.”

Roffman concluded that legalizing or not legalizing marijuana has multiple implications for states that are considering or not considering legalizing the drug.