Grad school week proves successful

Elizabeth Stoeger, Staff writer

Linfield’s career development department hosted its premiere graduate school information week aimed at giving students resources to consider pursuing a master’s degree or PhD.

From Oct. 6-10 Linfield hosted a variety of events centered around graduate school opportunities. The events gave information regarding planning and paying for a graduate degree.

Over 200 students in total participated in events throughout the week.

Linfield alumni returned to give their insights into the value of continuing on to graduate school and its realities.

“The purpose of it was to connect students with resources and professionals to be able to make decisions and learn more about grad school,” said Donna Montoya, assistant director in the Career Development office.

The week began with an interactive workshop led by Montoya on the different types of degrees offered, paying and applying for graduate school, and studying for entrance exams.

Throughout the week, different departments had a chance to present information on the available graduate programs.

On Oct. 7, a Linfield alumnus of the Pre-Law program spoke about the experience of and career paths associated with earning a graduate degree.

“I was really glad he brought up going to law school in the state you want to practice in. That was good information to know,” sophomore Molly McTaggart said.

The next day included information on programs for those in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) majors.

On the same day, representatives from Willamette University’s MBA program and the Seattle Pacific University School of

Management, as well as Linfield alumni presently in those programs, discussed various program options and how to be a dynamic candidate for graduate school.

The graduate school fair on the patio of Walker Hall was the biggest attraction of the week, drawing about 80 students throughout the afternoon on Wednesday Oct. 8. The fair featured booths from 20 different university graduate programs.

For those interested in social work, an alumnus who recently completed a Master of Social Work spoke about her experience.

Another facet of the week was the online component. Students senior Jessica Pham and sophomore Patty Roberts were in charge of the online information campaign.

Spreading information via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using #LinfieldGSIW allowed students access to information if they couldn’t attend an event.

The week’s events concluded on Oct. 9, with an interactive workshop for students interested in the applying to graduate school for a humanities related degree which featured Montoya and Linfield professors’ Reshmi Dutt-Ballerstadt and Daniel Pollack-Pelzner from the English Department Students in all grades showed interest in the programs, not just juniors and seniors.

“We also had a lot of freshmen and sophomores who were looking ahead to see what they can do now to help set them up for a successful graduate school search and application,” Montoya said.

Montoya said she would like to see “more students from more disciplines,” as the main thing she would like to see improved for graduate school week next year.

“A lot of students were able to gain ground in graduate school information and decisions,” Montoya said.

Students are always encouraged to visit the career development department to discuss plans after Linfield.

The offices for career development and academic advising are now housed in suites in the basement of Melrose Hall.