Track athletes prepare for NCAA

Dominic Baez
With the season winding down and nationals closing in, certain Wildcat track and field athletes are fighting tooth-and-nail to improve their NCAA standings.
Two track meets occurred during the week: the Pacific Twilight meet in Forest Grove, Ore., on May 2 and the John Knight Twilight Invitational in Salem on May 6. The latter was a NCAA-qualifying meet.
The next meet for the ’Cats will be the Oregon Twilight in Eugene on May 9.
At the Pacific Twilight meet, top Wildcats include djunior Clint Moore, who threw the discus 46.77 meters for second place, a season-best, and sophomore Mike Eldredge ran the 110-meter hurdles in 15.61 seconds for seventh. Senior Laura Sibley placed third in the 400 hurdles, running it in 1:05.33, and senior Mat Strum placed third in the 400 with a time of 50.05
At the John Knight Invitational, junior Josh Lovell placed first in the pole vault, jumping 4.1 meters, and second in the men’s 400, running it in 49.72. Freshman Catherine Street also placed first in the pole vault, soaring 3.65 meters.
Junior Marci Klimek performed well, getting second in the 1500 and third in the 800, with times of 4:48.06 and 2:20.85, respectively.
Sophomore Chelsea Machida earned third in high jump, jumping 1.58 meters. Freshman Katrina Amsberry tied for third in javelin, throwing for 37.9 meters.