Theater festival provides opportunities for students

A total of 18 students from Linfield’s Theater Art program traveled to Idaho last week for the annual Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF).

Students passionate about theater arts from universities all over the Northwest gathered for an intensive week full of workshops, auditions, performances and interviews.

This was senior, Jenny Layton’s, fourth year attending KCACTF.

Layton has had the opportunity to participate in both the acting and the technical sides involved in theater at this conference.

Seeing the crossover between the two, Layton said that one thing never changes, the energy.

“It is an awesome opportunity to collaborate with people who share the same passion for theater. There is a great level of supportive energy and an awesome atmosphere back stage,” Layton said.

Layton took home an award for dramaturgical research this year.

After turning in a notebook chalk-full of research completed on a particular script, a professional dramaturge reads through them, giving feedback to all the applicants and chose Layton as runner-up.

Freshman Madilyn Betchel had the opportunity to visit workshops on both acting and tech.

“It was really exciting to hear the people giving the workshops talk about how they got into the field,” Betchel said.

Betchel will be attending the SCI Las Vegas Summer Institute after receiving a Meritorious Achievement Award in stage management.

Betchel said she will be involved in more intensive stage managing workshops, informational sessions and backstage tours during this program.

Eve Brindis / Staff reporter

Eve          Brindis     can          be            reached   at             [email protected]