Girl group sings sassy, soulful songs

Get ready for another British invasion, America, because Little Mix is here to stay. Though boy bands are becoming prominent once again, girl groups are regaining momentum with the likes of Fifth Harmony, the revival of Danity Kane and Little Mix.

After becoming the first group to win “The X Factor” in the U.K., Little Mix has found success with their first two albums.

The group has been nominated for numerous awards and won the award for best girl band in the “Best of 2013 Awards.”

Perrie Edwards, Jesy Nelson, Leigh-Anne Pinnock and Jade Thirlwall form the sassy, dynamic group.

Each had failed to pass the bootcamp round of the British competition show, and Simon Cowell brought them back to compete as a group.

All in their early 20s, these women bring youth, energy and confidence to their sophomore effort, “Salute.”

Little Mix released their second studio album earlier in February after a November release in the U.K. It was worth the wait.

After finding international success in 2013, Little Mix is solidifying its spot in America’s list of favorite girl groups.

The resilient, tight vocals and harmonies from all four women produce an album that far succeeds from their debut, “DNA.”

“Salute” is an R&B infused, hip-hop-influenced pop album that contains dance tracks as well as ballads. Little Mix’s cites the Spice Girls, Destiny’s Child and TLC as some of their inspirations.

This is evident throughout the album as the 90s club vibe shines in “About That Boy,” “Nothing Feels Like You” and “Mr. Loverboy.”

As slick as the more upbeat tracks are, the ballads highlight Little Mix’s versatility in sound and style. The women express both sadness and anger in “These Four Walls” and “Good Enough,” which has the women saying “Sorry for the smile I’m wearing now,” after appreciating the rejection from an undeserving man.

The group boasts on female empowerment, strength and confidence in “Salute,” “See Me Now” and “A Different Beat.” The confidence oozes as they chant, “I look in the mirror and I like what I see.” The album touches on break-ups, love, anger and everything in between. “Salute” embraces women despite the circumstances that they find themselves or put themselves in.

Little Mix’s “Salute” is available for digital download on iTunes and available for purchase in stores. You can also check out “Salute” on KSLC 90.3 FM and listen online at www.linfield.edu/kslcfm or stream the station on iTunes.

Vanessa So / KSLC Music Director

Vanessa  So            can          be            reached   at             [email protected]