Buried treasure in the Linfield’s archives

The archive department is creating a snapshot in Linfield history with the first ever time capsule made up of objects that the student body thinks defined this year.

Time Capsule 1
Spencer Beck/Staff photographer

Starting Feb. 24 the two time capsules will be at the circulation desk in the library until the “Happy Birthday Linfield” celebration on Feb. 27. During this time students are encouraged to donate anything into the boxes that they think symbolizes this year.

Students can put an actual item in the time capsule or even just a picture of it. There are no limitations to what the students or staff can put in to it.

“We have no idea what to expect,” Director of Resource Sharing Rich Schmidt said. “We are all really enthusiastic about this. We hope that the students will take ownership of it.”

Time Capsule 2
Spencer Beck/Staff photographer

After the time capsules are stored into the archive anyone can look at them to see a snapshot in time.

The archives department is looking forward to this being annual event that students will build as the tradition goes on.

“The idea of an Archive is sometime confused and mysterious to people,” Schmidt said.

“This is a nice way to tell people what an archive is for. They don’t really have an age, not everything is just gathering dust. Linfield students can create their own history.”

Stephanie Hofmann / Sports Editor

Stephanie     Hofmann      can                 be                   reached
at                     [email protected]