Linfield Gallops into the Lunar New Year

Kaylyn Peterson / Managing Editor

The upper gym decorated in red, had all sorts of yummy treats and students were handing out little envelopes on Feb. 14, but this was not an event filled with hearts and loved-themed candies.

The Asian American Student Alliance and International Club teamed up to celebrate the Lunar New Year, a combined event for the Chinese and Vietnamese new year.

Performers from Portland perform a Lion Dance during the Lunar New Year
Celebration presented by International Club and Asian American Alliance.
YuCheng Zhang/Senior photographer

“I was pretty surprised before we organized this, in the past there was no real recognition of [Lunar New Year] by Linfield,” junior Maddie Wong said. “I think it is important for students to see that this a really important holiday because its not just Chinese New Year, but it’s Vietnamese New Year too.”

Students were welcomed with red envelopes with Vietnamese currency inside, a practice done in many Asian New Year traditions.

“It is really big holiday in China, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Malaysia,” Senior Josh Can said. “You see it celebrated in other places like NBA.com, so it was surprising Linfield didn’t do anything for it. It doesn’t seem as big in Oregon. It’s big in other place in the U.S. like California.”

The night featured a performance from the clubs and a traditional Lion dance.

Around the room, there were different activities for students to explore Asian culture.

A wall was designated for students to share their goals for the New Year, followed by fortune telling by zodiac symbols.

Each year is represented by an animal in the zodiac cycle, and this year was the year of the horse.DSC_8974

Members of the two clubs taught students to paint symbols in Calligraphy and how to use chopsticks.

Other activities included hacky-sack, a photo booth and face painting. Food was catered from Panda Express.

“My favorite part was learning about my zodiac sign and getting a cute puppy tattoo painted on me for year of the dog,” Freshman Madison Bennink said. “I also really liked the calligraphy station and the dragon dance. And of course the Panda Express was a nice touch.”

Kaylyn     Peterson can          be            reached   at             [email protected]