Hollingsworth glides into second

Keith Mader

Senior Rose Hollingsworth earned All-American honors after placing second in the 100-yard backstroke March 20 at the nationals.
“I was really happy with my performance,” Hollingsworth said. “It was really great to end my swim career on such a high note.”
Hollingsworth swam a time of 56.18 seconds to break the school record of 56.7 seconds, which she set earlier in the year.
“It was a little bit of a shock to me when I first looked up at the scoreboard and realized that I got second,” Hollingsworth said. “I felt like all those hundreds of hours that I practiced this season really did matter.”
Junior Dominic Rieniets also was named All-American as he placed seventh in the 100-yard butterfly March 19 at nationals.
Hollingsworth had Linfield’s best times in the 100 backstroke, 200 backstroke and 200 individual medley. She is also in the top five for the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle.
Hollingsworth has been to nationals three times since her sophomore year.
“This year I felt like I knew what was going on,” she said.
Hollingsworth said she appreciates the competition that the nationals bring.
“The competition was simply phenomenal,” Hollingsworth said. “It’s fun to watch so many of the records being broken.”
Hollingsworth attributes her success to her work ethic, which led to the national meet.
“Training for nationals was a little tougher this year than it has been in past years,” she said. “It was partially because of the goals that I had set for myself this season.”
At the end of her
collegiate swimming career, Hollingsworth looks back on the effects swimming has had on her life.
“Swimming pushed my boundaries physically and emotionally,” she said. “I found my limits and then pushed them farther.”
Hollingsworth said that the end of the season is bittersweet.
“I am starting to realize that I will not be coming back next year,” Hollingsworth said. “During the trip I said something about the team T-shirts for next year, and then I realized I am not going to be here.”
Though sad about the end, Hollingsworth enjoys reflecting on her years as a Linfield swimmer.
“I have really enjoyed my time here and I have really loved being on the team,” she said.