LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Although this article [Double majoring can lead to major problems] rightfully warned students about the potential perils of double majoring, many of the statements were incorrect or negatively oriented.

Double majoring can be a wonderful experience— after all, it’s not often you get the opportunity to get two degrees at once.

Yes, a student should carefully consider whether they are prepared to take on the workload of a double major.

And, yes, having “complimenting” majors can be beneficial.

However, there are many students at Linfield double majoring in two seemingly separate field—but they find creative ways to make them blend together.

For example, Katricia is a double major in Psychology and Music—none of the classes required for these degrees overlap.

However, Katricia has taken these majors and synthesized them into an ongoing, collaborative research project, which has enabled her to attend conferences and provided many other opportunities that she wouldn’t have had otherwise as an undergraduate student.

Another example: Nick is double majoring in Psychology and Finance—there are also no overlapping classes in these majors.

He is also planning to use the two together to go into organizational development-business consulting, an area of business where some psychology background can be incredibly useful.

Moreover, what you major in absolutely affects the jobs available to you once you graduate.

Stating that it does not is completely false—what is the point of getting a specific degree if not to work in that field after graduating?

If you want a job beyond fast food, what you major in completely applies.

How can you get into medical school if you major in theater?

How can you get an internship with a financial company if you major in biology and know nothing about finance or business?

Now let’s consider graduate school.

Katricia and Nick will both attract more attention from graduate schools because they double majored—which shows graduate schools that we are organized, dedicated, and interested in a variety of topics that we can mold together in creative ways.

Double majoring gives you a boost in the real world once you leave the Linfield bubble.

Yes, hard work is often required (if you want to do well).
But doing well in anything requires hard work.

If you want to get into graduate school, land a good job once out of school, or even if you are just equally passionate about two fields and decide to study both, double majoring can be highly beneficial.

-Nick Popma ‘14

Katricia Stewart ‘15