Deciding your major can be one major decision

What’s your major?
It’s the question that defines us as college students. Some are excited to answer and others dread the question. Many people go into college unsure about what they want to major in so they rush into the first subject that seems like a good fit.
However, there may come a time when you realize you’re studying something you just can’t stand and no longer fits your plan for the future.
Not every student is cut out to be biology major, it’s hard!
Why else would people trust you with their lives if it wasn’t?
Or, maybe, you’ve finally realized that all those journals you write in are just a great creative writing portfolio in the making.
Maybe you’re knack for social media is pointing you in the mass communication direction.
When this happens, it may be time to change your major, and that’s okay.
I came to Linfield determined that I wanted to major in psychology so that ultimately I could be a Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds for the FBI.
After a few psychology classes, it was clear that even psychology had too much science in it for me. Even though I was still a freshman when I made this decision, I felt like an idiot for wanting to change majors. No one ever directly told me this, but I had this feeling that I was expected to have my life figured out at 18 years old.
I thought I would be perceived as a failure. Luckily, we go to a liberal arts college where trial and scholarly experimentation is encouraged.
College is about learning on your own and being bold enough to make your own uncertain decisions about your future. So I say, be open to trying the random math or gender studies class.
You might just find your niche. You’ve taken the same six subjects before college. If you don’t know your major, its more than understandable.
If you’re convinced you’re studying the wrong thing, is there really any reason to continue pursuing a degree you hate and hope you’ll never have to use?
And don’t think you’re wasting money. That’s what LCs are for, experimenting subjects.
So change your major once, or even twice, or maybe you’re one of the lucky few who never has to change in the first place. Either way, don’t be afraid to make the decision.
You have time to experiment with classes these first few years at Linfield so do it! That is what you’re paying for because you chose a liberal arts college.
Changing your major may be the change and spark you need to make your time at college worth it.
Alyssa Townsend/Opinion editor
Alyssa Townsend can be reached at [email protected].