ASLC senate approves diverse group of candidates

Dominic Baez
Managing editor

A new crop of students are vying for political office this week, with the most surprising element being the candidates’ youth.
Candidates presented themselves to Senate Feb. 23, and the Senate approved all to run for office.
The candidates for president are juniors Ashlee Carter, Duncan Reid and T. Craig Sinclair. The vice-presidential candidates are freshmen Sean Boedeker and Dylan “Race” Packer, sophomore Geoff Porter and junior Chris Norman.
Compared with last year, when every candidate was in the junior class, it is unexpected to see so many underclassmen running for vice-president this year.
The voting procedures have also changed. Instead of voting at designated polling booths outside Withnell Commons or Walker Hall, voting will be conducted online this year, as a result of the combined efforts of the ASLC Cabinet and Chief Technology Officer Irv Wiswall. In place of the booths there will be tables with information regarding the candidates and their stances on the issues.
Though the system has yet to be tested, Cabinet members are optimistic about the change.
The primary debates will be held March 2, with the time and location to be announced. Students will then receive a e-mail link to a Web site March 3 where they can cast their primary votes.
The general debates will take place March 9, also TBA, and the general elections will follow March 10, when students will receive a similar link in their email inboxes redirecting them to the final voting site.
President:

Duncan Reid
Junior
Major: Environmental policy
Hometown: Lake Oswego, Ore.
Clubs/Activities: Greenfield founder and president, ASLC senator , campus improvement committee chair, student representative on the Advisory Committee on Environment and Sustainability, Resident Adviser, Alternative Spring Break participant, upward bound tutor, independent Study of environmental leadership
Goals for next year: Increase communication between students and faculty, staff and the higher administration on campus to effectively address student concerns, integrate the Linfield community more effectively with the McMinnville community, inspire Linfield students to participate in the global community
Ashlee Carter
Junior
Major: Business with a management concentration
Hometown: Connell, Wash.
Clubs/Activities: ASLC Club Director, Activities Council, Club Charter Committee chair, Snowboard/Ski Club president and founder, Community Service Volunteer Coordinator, Phi Sigma Sigma committee head and judicial board representative, Republican Club leader, IM captain
Goals for next year: Campus involvement, better communication lines, be approachable, follow through with plans, helpful for all students, welcome others’ views, team commitment, campus and Greek life issues

T. Craig Sinclair
Junior
Major: Political science
Hometown: Redmond, Wash.
Clubs/Activities: One of a hundred on Barack Obama’s national “College Steering Committee,” Founder and president of a winning sports club, club presidents, vice president of SPURS, ASLC Senator, Senate President Pro-tempore, Linfield Activities Council
Goals for next year: Fresh ideas for the ASLC, such as Linfield “Town Hall” meetings and adding a Lecture Chair to LAB to bring more lecturers to campus; improve teacher retention and make Linfield a place professors want to teach; make Linfield more environmentally friendly by exploring the possibility of getting solar panels and bring mixed recycling into all receptacles

Vice President:

Sean Boedeker
Freshman
Major: Undecided
Hometown: Vancouver, Wash.
Clubs/Activities: ASLC senator, football player, track and field athlete, Kappa Sigma Fraternity member
Goals for next year: Create an open forum and strong connection with students, address food service and meal plan issues, maintain strong connection with Greek Life and boost Wildcat spirit.

Dylan “Race” Packer
Freshman
Major: Undecided
Hometown: Watsonville, Calif.
Clubs/Activities: Class vice president sophomore year, president junior year, head prefect and junior prefect senior year, JV Soccer team captain (all during high school)
Goals for next year: (unable to obtain)

Geoff Porter
Sophomore
Major: Political science
Hometown: Renton, Wash.
Clubs/Activities: ASLC senator
Goals for next year: Will come to students to find out what changes they want to see, will make change and new legislation an active and regular occurrence.

Chris Norman
Junior
Major: Political science
Hometown: Bellevue, Wash.
Clubs/Activities: ASLC Senator, Committee Chair for the Senate Standing Rules and Bylaws Committee, January Term Residence Adviser, Kappa Sigma Fraternity member, Student representative to the student and faculty Curriculum Committee, Pi Sigma Alpha: National Political Honor Society member, Pi Gamma Mu: National Social Science Honor Society member, S.P.U.R.S. Service Honor Society member, Dean’s List
Goals for next year: Accountability and effectiveness in senate, clarifying parking rules and regulations, following through with the visiting hours and overnight guest policy changes, moving campus toward being environmentally sustainable, maintaining a positive image of the Greek community.