Annual report details crime on, off campus

Samantha Sigler

Linfield College sent out its annual report compiling statistics of reported crimes within the previous three years that have impacted the Linfield community on Sept. 28.

The crimes within the report occurred either on campus, in off-campus buildings close to Linfield or on property that Linfield owns or controls.

Overall, the report had only a few types of crimes to report. However, for those crimes the numbers were relatively high.

On the McMinnville campus, there were nine forcible sex offenses in the residence halls in 2011, increasing from four in the residence halls and eight on campus in 2010.

Both of these numbers increased significantly from only one on campus and zero in the residence halls in 2009.

However, the number decreased in the non-forcible sex offenses category from two on campus and two in the residence halls in 2010 to zero in both on campus and in the residence halls in 2011.

Burglary crimes increased from zero in 2010 to three on campus and two in the residence halls in 2011.

Arrests for liquor law violations increased notably from only one on campus in 2010 to 13 on campus and 13 in the residence halls in 2011.

However, the number of drug violation arrests saw a reduction from five on campus and in the residence halls in 2010 to only two on campus and one in the residence halls in 2011.

While the number of arrests remained relatively low on campus, the liquor law violation referrals for discipline stayed comparatively high at 70 on campus, one on public property and 61 in the residence halls in 2011.

However, this number is low in comparison to 104 on campus, 99 in the residence halls, six on non-campus property and one on public property in 2010.

The number of drug violation referrals for discipline also went down slightly in 2011, as there were only 19 on campus and 14 in the residence halls, as opposed to 23 on campus and 17 in the residence halls in 2010.

There were no biased crimes on campus, in the residence halls, off-campus or on public property in 2011.

This differs from 2010, in which there was one count of a race crime that occurred with the destruction of property.

For the Portland campus, the overall numbers for crimes was exceptionally low in comparison to McMinnville.

There were two motor vehicle thefts on public property in 2011 and one on campus. In addition, there was one weapons violation referral for discipline in the residence halls.

Portland campus had no sexual offense crimes as opposed to 2010, where there was one count of forcible sexual offence on public property.

Burglary crimes also went down to zero in 2011. In 2010 there were two counts of burglary on campus.

The 2011 Annual Safety Report can be accessed at www.linfield.edu/college-public-safety/annual-report.html.

Samantha Sigler

News editor